This practice was a mock game day held in the stadium. The players even did the "walk." TW doesn't leave any detail out. There were refs working the "game," all of the pre-game drills were run, coaches were in the box, captains, coin toss …… the only thing missing was the band and the crowd. The best part is, I knew going in that we would win. The red team consisted of the first and second-string players (coached by Kent B). The white team consisted of the freshmen (coached by TW).
Here are the highlights:
- Biselli's kickoffs landed >>> 1) Goal line 2) 5 yards deep 3) on the 3 yard line
- Eric Johnson looks like our punter. I watched him kick in warm ups and he was kicking them around 40 yards. Eric boomed his first kick. The red team kicked from their own 33 and his punt sailed over the returner's head, landed at the 13 and rolled into the end zone.
- Ryan Eklund opened the game for the white team. He went three and out in his first series.
- Tom Kolich started the game at center.
- Marcus Hoover had a good game with several sacks.
- Caleb Bowman had a very good game. He caught (yes, that's right) at least 5 passes and did not drop any. His first catch was a perfectly thrown ball by Fasani for about 25 yards.
- Fasani opened the scoring with a great pass to a wide-open Teyo running a corner rout (30 yards).
- Did you know that you can hear the refs without a mic when there are no fans in the stadium? I was sitting just under the press box and I could hear them load and clear. First time I've been on the shady side in about 6 years.
- Lemon made a nice run around left end. It look like an off tackle play and he was able to bounce outside and turn the corner for 7-8 yards.
- Great catch turned in by Evan Combs. He pinned a 20-yard pass to his helmet and was able to hold on to it as he went to the ground. Good looking pass by Eklund.
- Trey Freeman busted up the middle for a sack.
- Eklund threw another good-looking pass to Grant Mason for another 20+ yard gain.
- Another great pass by Eklund to Alex Smith who made an excellent catch over Gaffney for a TD. Eklund looked very strong on this drive. The white team went nuts …. and started taunting the red team. No doubt that Smith can/will be a star. The extra point was REALLY ugly. With the D-lineman just standing there, Sgroi just lined the extra point about 3 feet off the ground into someone's stomach.
- Chris Lewis started the third drive for red and completed his first pass to Bowman.
- Carter busted off the left side for 12-15 yards.
- Kris Bonifas blitzed on the next play and sacked Lewis.
- Lewis threw a nice pass to Bowman for 15 on an out rout.
- Pierce made a good catch down the middle for about 15. He showed very soft hands on the play.
- Jon Alston busted up a play charging hard up the middle.
- TD pass from Lewis to Pierce in the right corner of the end zone.
- Highlight play made by McCullum (Justin) on another strong throw by Eklund. For Eklund critics out there ….. he had a hell of a game.
- Jim Johnson made several good plays playing for the white team.
- Calvin Armstrong almost made a leaping interception of a Chris Lewis pass. Armstrong looks like he could be a player.
- Will Svitek made several good plays including one play where he beat his man (LT) and flushed Lewis out of the pocket.
- Kevin Schimmelmann made a great play breaking up a pass to Pierce
Overall the freshmen had a hell of a day. I would give Eklund the Player of the Game award.