UW Firepower Too Much For Card To Overcome

Men's Hoops Editor Ray Salloom provides the Bootleg faithful a look at the game flow, stats, and facts after Stanford was unable to come all the way back in a 78-61 loss Washington on Saturday evening at Maples Pavilion. See how Stanford got off to a hot start, went ice cold as UW took a double-digit lead, battle back within two with a chance to tie, but ultimately run out of gas in the end.

Following a frantic finish on Thursday night which saw Stanford claw their way back to stun the Washington State Cougars, the Cardinal were looking to get another sweep at home during the conference season versus a team which had thoroughly defeated them the last time they met in Seattle, the Washington Huskies.  With a chance to gain a measure of revenge against a team predicted to be at the top of the Pac-10 this season, Stanford was unable to overcome the Huskies depth, getting as close as two midway through the second half before succumbing to a game-ending 24-9 run, losing by a final score of 78-61.  Washington moves to 17-8 on the season, 7-6 in Pac-10 play, while Stanford falls to 11-14, 5-8 in league action.

The Cardinal got off to a hot start, getting a three-point play by Jeremy Green and a long, right wing three-pointer from Drew Shiller, giving Stanford an early 8-2 lead and causing Huskies head coach Lorenzo Romar to call a timeout.  Washington got back in it with an Isaiah Thomas baseline make and a Matthew Bryan-Amaning offensive rebound and put-back to get within two before the first media break of the contest.  Washington continued on their run after the timeout, getting another nine in a row, capped by a steal and layup by Venoy Overton, giving UW a 15-8 advantage with 12:15 left in the half.  Emmanuel Igbinosa finally help Stanford snap a 5:45 scoreless stretch with a baseline jumper over his defender, but the Huskies were able to turn a Cardinal turnover into an easy three-point bucket by Thomas on the other end to keep them up by eight heading to the benches for the next timeout on the floor.

Washington pushed the lead to as many as 12 after an Isaiah Thomas layup, but Igbinosa suddenly caught fire, getting five in a row for Stanford, including a left wing three-ball, to cut the lead to seven.  A miss by Washington gave the Cardinal a chance to shave the lead down a bit more, but Green missed two three-pointers and Trotter was hard off the glass on his layup.  Justin Holiday scored off a Quincy Pondexter miss to stop the run and Thomas drained two freebies after the media timeout to get the lead back to double-digits, 28-17, with 7:15 left.  The Huskies then used their athleticism to draw a myriad of fouls inside the paint on Stanford, getting four consecutive free throws to go in, bringing the advantage to 15.  Landry Fields tried to cool off UW, making a tough jumper in the lane (he was fouled, but missed the FT) and a layup on a break to get Stanford back within 11, but both teams proceeded to trade buckets, putting the Huskies up 13 with under four minutes to go in the half.  The trend continued over the remainder of the first half with the lead see-sawing between 13 and 15 until Shiller was fouled by Overton while trying to throw up a shot right before the halftime buzzer.  The Burlingame senior calmly netted all three free throws with 0.3 seconds left to get Stanford within 11, 43-32, at the break.

For the half, Stanford shot 44% from the field, 25% (2-8 beyond the arc), and a paltry 43% at the free throw line, making just six of 14 attempts.  Washington made 39% of their field goals, 22% (2-9) from the three-point line, and 77% (13-17) at the charity stripe.  The Huskies outrebounded the Cardinal 26-19, including 9-4 on the offensive end.  This directly resulted in an 11-0 advantage in second chance points for UW.  Stanford tallied five assists and eight turnovers, while Washington passed around seven assists and committed just three turnovers.  UW held a 6-2 edge in scoring off those miscues.

Stanford was led by Fields' eight points on 3-6 shooting, followed by seven from Igbinosa and six each from Shiller and Jack Trotter, the latter making his buckets off of jump shots in the paint.  Washington's leading scorer at the half was Thomas, who scored 14 on 4-12 shooting from the floor, but 4-4 at the free throw line.  Pondexter was next in line with 11 with Holiday following him with six.

Both teams came out of the locker room, missing a couple of field goals each until Holiday got a layup to drop almost 90 seconds into the second half.  A Trotter layup and a Green left corner three-pointer cut the lead to single digits for the first time since 7:50 remained in the first half before a Bryan-Amaning three-point play gave the Huskies a lead of an even dozen.  Fields, though, began to get aggressive, netting two buckets in a row to get Stanford within eight, 49-41, heading to the benches for the first TV timeout of the second stanza.  After a free throw by Pondexter, Stanford went on a hot streak, capping an 8-0 burst with a steal and layup by Green, putting Stanford behind by just two, 50-48, with 13:35.  The layup brought the crowd to their feet and forced coach Romar to call a timeout to calm his troops.

The timeout by Washington seemed to initially give them the kick in the rear they needed as Bryan-Amaning dunked home a loose ball off a Stanford block and Holiday ran the break well to get himself a jam and give UW back a six-point advantage with 12:32 remaining in the game.  While Stanford didn't score on their next two possessions, they were able to draw the fourth fouls of the evening on Bryan-Amaning and Holiday, forcing the Huskies to go to their bench with more than 11 minutes remaining in the game.  Stanford got a tough jumper from Fields and then a zipped pass from Fields to Andrew Zimmerman brought the home team to within two.  The Cardinal had a golden opportunity to tie the game up after grabbing a Pondexter missed three-pointer, but Fields missed two layins and the subsequent rebound was fumbled out of bounds, giving UW the ball back.  Pondexter drew a foul and made both free throws to double the lead and a bad pass by Green intended for Dildy kept the lead at four, 56-52, with 7:47 remaining in the game. 

Out of the timeout, UW found Pondexter for a tough deuce inside, but Fields founds Green going to the bucket to keep the lead at four.  Washington then seemed to find another gear as Thomas hit a three-pointer over a lunging Shiller, Elston Turner hit a long one after Green made one of two freebies, and Darnell Gant went up high to put another offensive rebound back in, suddenly making a close game not so tight anymore with the Huskies up 11, 66-55, with 5:37 to go in the game.  Shiller made two free throws and Zimmerman had a slam off a pass from Mann, but Thomas put a dagger into Stanford's hearts with a right wing three over Fields to place UW up 71-59 with 3:17 to go.  The Cardinal would get no closer than that the rest of the way, giving the Cardinal their first loss at home in conference play.

For the contest, Stanford shot 42% from the field, 22% (4-18) at the three-point line, and just 46% on 11 of 24 attempts from the free throw line.  Washington also made 42% of their field goal attempts, 35% (6-17) from beyond the arc, and 77% (20-26) at the charity stripe.  UW outrebounded the Cardinal 43-38, including 12-10 on the offensive side of the ledger.  Washington was more efficient in turning their opportunities into buckets, outscoring Stanford 17-6 in second chance points.  The Huskies passed out 16 assists and had just five turnovers, while the Card has 13 assists and 11 turnovers, turning around their initial woes in the first half.  However, the visitors outscored Stanford 12-6 off those mistakes.

Stanford was led by Fields and Green who both scored 17 points on the night.  Fields was 7-14 from the field, but just 2-7 at the free throw line, while Green was 6-17 from the field, but just 1-9 from beyond the three-point line.  Fields also had seven rebounds and four assists for the night.  Trotter was next in line for Stanford, almost getting a double-double as he finished with 10 points and nine rebounds on 5-7 shooting from the floor.  Shiller finished with eight points, six boards, and four assists, tying Fields for the team lead in the final category.  Washington had four players in double-digits, led by Thomas' 20 on 6-18 shooting.  Pondexter scored 18 on 5-12 shooting, but also had nine rebounds, three assists, and made 8 of his 11 free throw tries.  Bryan-Amaning scored 11 points and snared five rebounds in just 13 minutes of play as he was hampered with foul trouble throughout the game.

After the game, a visibly disappointed and angry duo of Dawkins and Fields addressed the media afterwards, noting that not finishing plays and missing free throws (the early woes labeled as "contagious") helped contribute to the loss.  When asked about the two missed layups that would have tied the game midway through the second half, Fields flatly said "I just missed them."  If this loss was any more frustrating than others due to it being at home, the senior remarked "every loss is frustrating."

The Cardinal will head out on the road for their final trip of the regular season, taking on the Oregon Ducks at 7:00pm in Eugene.  Stay tuned to The Bootleg for another insightful breakdown of the proceedings from Maples Pavilion from Kevin "Kevo" Danna!

Are you fully subscribed to The Bootleg? If not, then you are missing out on all the top Cardinal coverage we provide daily on our award-winning website. Sign up today for the biggest and best in Stanford sports coverage with TheBootleg.com (sign-up)!

The Bootleg Top Stories