Loyola (9-3) ended DePaul's (9-4) seven game winning streak led by 24 points from former Schaumburg star Cully Payne.
"He hit some big shots down the stretch for them," DePaul coach Oliver Purnell said of Payne's performance. "He played a whale of a game. He was a key to most everything they did."
While DePaul held Loyola star Ben Averkamp to nine points, it was Payne who ruled the day for the Ramblers.
"I just feel like they just wanted it more," said senior guard Worrel Clahar. "They got the loose balls. They dove on the ground. They wanted the offensive rebounds more than we wanted to block out. They came more prepared and were hungry."
The Blue Demons shot a paltry 55% from the free throw line which didn't help things this afternoon.
"We just couldn't make free throws today," said a very dejected Brandon Young. "It didn't just come down to free throws. It was the defense too. We just didn't come out ready to play today."
The Blue Demons also gave up 33 points in the paint to the Ramblers.
"We weren't mentally tough enough all night long to get ourselves in a situation to win the game," said Purnell.
Three players reached double-figures for Loyola. Christian Thomas scored 12 points and freshman Devon Turk came off the bench to add 10 for the Ramblers.
Young led the Blue Demons with 18 points while Clahar came off the bench to add 10 points in the losing effort.
The Blue Demons begin Big East conference play on Wednesday night at Allstate Arena against the Seton Hall Pirates.
Team Records and Series Notes:
• DePaul drops to 9-4 overall on the season... Loyola' s record improves to 9-3.
• The game was the 56th meeting between the two programs... DePaul leads the series by a 38-18 margin... today's win for Loyola ends an 11-game winning streak in the series for the Blue Demons... Loyola's last win over DePaul was a 70-69 decision on Jan. 21, 1989.
• DePaul is 105-37 all-time against the current lineup of Horizon League programs.
DePaul Team Notes:
• DePaul's win streak ended at seven games... it is the longest streak since a nine-game run from Dec. 7, 1993-Jan. 8, 1994.
• DePaul's streak of wins against Chicagoland opponents ended at nine in-a-row... DePaul head coach Oliver Purnell is 8-1 in his three seasons against local foes.
DePaul Individual Notes:
• Cleveland Melvin's streak in double-figures ended at 26 straight games... he entered the game tied for third in nation with longest active streaks in double-figures... Melvin's last game with less than 10 points was an eight-point game at Louisville on Jan. 14, 2012.
• With seven points, Melvin moved into 32nd on DePaul's all-time scoring list.
• Brandon Young played in his 75th career game... he recorded his 56th career game in doubled-figures.
Loyola Ends DePaul's Streak
Cuse Nation Top Stories
Revealed: The 2017 Scout 300The class of 2016 is in the books and Scout delves deep into the 2017 class with the release of the Scout 300.
Scout Football9:00 AM
Four-Star Empire State DT Talks 'CuseOne of the top players in New York in the 2017 class discusses where Syracuse stands.
Cuse NationYesterday at 8:15 PM
New Staff Reaffirms Kasim Hill's OfferOne of the top quarterbacks in the 2017 class remains interested in Syracuse
Cuse NationYesterday at 8:05 PM
Scout 300 OG Very High on SyracuseOne of the top offensive lineman in the 2017 class is Marcus Minor out of DeMatha Catholic in Maryland. He discusses his recent Syracuse offer inside.
Cuse NationYesterday at 8:00 PM