Flipping Out

Recruits flip their commitment every year, and Syracuse has fallen victim to that over the last few recruiting cycles. CuseNation.com breaks down candidates that could flip to, and flip from, Syracuse in the 2014 class.

Every year, the flip rears its head and causes some schools to go into a panic as they lose one of their priority targets at the last minute. Syracuse has suffered from the flip as recently as last season with Zach Allen and Augustus Edwards. While that was due to a coaching change, it is still something Orange fans would like to avoid in the 2014 class.

Interestingly, Syracuse is after some high profile targets that are currently committed elsewhere to try to gain a flip of their own. CuseNation.com breaks down the likelihood each of those targets will flip as well as the likelihood some Orange targets will look elsewhere.

The scale is simple. Threat alert "Orange" means 75% chance or better of a flip. Threat alert "Blue" means it is a 50/50 proposition. Threat alert "White" means the flip chance is 25% or less.


Syracuse Flip Targets

Player: Tommy Mister
Position: Running Back
School: St. Rita High School (Chicago, Ill.)
Rating:
Committed To: Iowa State
Threat Alert: Blue
Comments: When Syracuse moved on from Ish Witter, Mister became the primary running back target. Despite being committed to Iowa State, Mister is taking a serious look at the Orange. His high school teammate, Lamar Dawson, is a Syracuse commit who continues to work on flipping him for the coaching staff. He is considering taking an official, and if he does, the flip chances are very strong.


Player: Harold Landry
Position: Defensive End
School: Pine Forest High School (Fayetteville, N.C.)
Rating:
Committed To: Boston College
Threat Alert: Blue
Comments: Defense end is a position of need for Syracuse, and they have targeted Landry as a priority. Despite being committed to Boston College, Landry has stayed in constant communication with the Orange. Tim Daoust is his primary recruiter, and they continue to discuss an official. They are targeting a mid-December weekend, but nothing has been decided as of yet. Still, you get the impression that Landry really liked Syracuse.


Player: Deion Hallmon
Position: Cornerback
School: Cypress Bay High School (Weston, Fla.)
Rating:
Committed To: Rutgers
Threat Alert: Orange
Comments: Hallmon has been one of the strangest recruitments in the last few years. He has changed which school was in front several times, and surprised some with his commitment to Rutgers. However, because Hallmon is who he is, nothing is ever certain. He told CuseNation.com that "all the schools" have continued to recruit him despite his verbal pledge. That includes Syracuse. If the Orange can get Hallmon on campus for their big recruiting weekends after the season, the flip could be on. The threat alert is not just for Syracuse, however, but for any school as Hallmon is very unpredictable.


Syracuse Flip Candidates

Player: Jason Cabinda
Position: Linebacker
School: Hunterdon Central School (Flemington, N.J.)
Rating:
Committed To: Syracuse
Threat Alert: Blue
Comments: Syracuse fans should be on alert here. Penn State is sniffing around and wants another linebacker in their class. While they have not offered yet, they could soon. If they do, Cabinda's threat alert could jump to "Orange." For now, it is likely a 50/50 proposition as to whether the Nittany Lions offer. Still, Cabinda says he is 100% committed to Syracuse. Penn State is the only school to be concerned about here.


Player: K.J. Williams
Position: Wide Receiver
School: Liberty High School (Bethlehem, Pa.)
Rating:
Committed To: Syracuse
Threat Alert: White
Comments: When Williams made his verbal pledge to Syracuse, many believed he was a prime flip candidate. However, no other schools have been in contact and Williams has remained strong in his commitment. He will be attending the game against Clemson with his cousin (A.J. Long) who remains a big selling point for the four star receiver.


Player: Corey Cooper
Position: Wide Receiver
School: Jireh Prep (Matthews, N.C.)
Rating:
Committed To: Syracuse
Threat Alert: White
Comments: Cooper has been contacted by some big name programs since he was unable to qualify out of high school. South Carolina, North Carolina and Mississippi State are among the schools who have inquired about Cooper. Still, he has maintained he is solid to Syracuse and his recruitment will end earlier than most as he plans to enroll in January. A flip appears unlikely at this point.


Cuse Nation Top Stories