After absolutely destroying the Rhode Island Rams in Week 1 47-0, the Syracuse Orange are flying high. Holding the Rams to just 64 yards of total offense, the Orange are currently ranked as the No. 1 overall defense in the nation. While the Orange will have a tougher test on Saturday against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, who are fresh off a 41-3 victory over Elon, Syracuse is still favored by 4.5 points as of Wednesday evening. Let’s take a look at some numbers for Saturday afternoon’s matchup between the Orange and the Demon Deacons.
Last week against Rhode Island, the Orange gave up just two first downs on defense. Sure they played a horrible FCS team, but that’s impressive against anyone.
Again they played Rhode Island, but in just 2 minutes and 44 seconds, the Orange recovered two fumbles and returned an interception for a touchdown.
Total rushing yards Syracuse allowed in their season opener.
While the Orange leads the all-time series to a score of a 3-1, it should be said that they lost their first meeting with Wake Forest in 2006. Since then, the Orange holds a three-game winning streak against the Demon Deacons.
Here are some quick other facts:
• Syracuse owns a 13-11 record in conference openers in program history.
• A win against Wake Forest would be the school’s 699th win in the history of the program.
• Wake Forest totaled 591 total yards in its season opener against Elon.
• Syracuse is 13-16 all-time against opponents from the state of North Carolina.
• True freshman Eric Dungey will make his first career start.
• Jordan Fredericks 100-yard performance in week one was the first by a true freshman in a season opener in program history.
• 15 true freshman saw the field for Syracuse last Friday night.
Before the season, the Orange said they were going to run the football a ton in the upcoming season. The trio of Jordan Fredericks, Jacob Hill, and George Morris compiled for just under 250 yards in Week 1. The Orange finished with 58 carries for 312 yards against Rhode Island. While the coaching staff loves Dungey, expect another heavy dose of the running game. If the Orange play stout defense and run the football with success, I think the Orange ended up winning this game by a touchdown.
Score prediction: 17-10 Syracuse
|Points Per Game||47.0||41.0|
|Points Allowed Per Game||0.0||3.0|
|Kick Return Avg||23.0||8.0|
|Punt Return Avg||23.8||8.0|
|Time of Possession Per Game||40:14||38:52|
|3rd Down Conversions||11-19||7-16|
|Opp. 3rd Down Conversions||1-11||1-13|
|Sacks Per Game||1||0|
|Sacks Allowed Per Game||1||3|
|Red Zone Offense||3-3||4-6|
|Red Zone Touchdowns||2-3||2-6|