Coming off two straight losses, the Syracuse Orange will look to get back in the win column on Saturday when they go on the road to play the Virginia Cavaliers. Last Saturday, the Orange were triumphed against a measly AAC team in the USF Bulls to a score of 45-24. Nevertheless, the Orange stayed away from the injury bug. Let’s take a look at some numbers for this Saturday afternoon’s matchup between the Orange and the Cavaliers.
Through five games, the Orange have committed 23 penalties. This total ranks second in the ACC and seventh nationally.
True freshman account for 67 percent of the Orange’s total offense, which isn't that surprising considering the Orange are starting Eric Dungey and Jordan Fredericks in the backfield.
Eric Dungey ranks fifth nationally in terms of passing yards per completion.
Syracuse ranks first in the ACC in terms of redzone offense, scoring on 15 out of 16 drives.
Here are some quick other facts:
• The last Syracuse team that started 3-0 finished with a record of 10-2 and went to the Hall of Fame Bowl.
• Parris Bennett, not Zaire Franklin, leads the Orange with 28 tackles on the year.
• Brisly Estime ranks third nationally in punt return average and fifth nationally in kick return average.
• The last time the two teams met, Virginia kicked a field goal as time expired to beat the Orange in the Carrier Dome.
• In both of its ACC opening road games, the Orange have been victorious.
Despite playing a horrible game against USF, the Orange have a ton to be happy about in 2015 and a ton to look forward to. Against one of the worst teams in the ACC, the Orange will have to find a way to win, and while junior quarterback Matt Johns may be off to a great start this season for the Wahoos, the Orange are the better team. I expect Syracuse to use their running back combination of Jordan Fredericks and Devante McFarlane to control this game and come away with a well-earned victory.
Prediction: 31-17 Syracuse
|Points Per Game||31.0||22.2|
|Penalty Yards Per Game||45.2||52.4|
|Time of Possession||29:54||30:51|
|3rd Down %||38.2%||40.8%|
|Opp. 3rd Down %||35.9%||33.3%|
|Tackles for Loss||39||33|
|Red Zone Offense %||93.8%||90.0%|
|Red Zone TD %||56.3%||50.0%|
|Red Zone Defense %||88.2%||76.2%|
|Red Zone Def TD %||52.9%||42.9%|