Lindsay's Goal Sends Orange To The Final Four

For the 22nd consecutive season, the men's lacrosse team will be spending the Memorial Day weekend at the NCAA lacrosse Final Four.<br><br>

Thanks to senior midfielder Sean Lindsay's goal with five seconds remaining in the game, the No. 4 seed Syracuse Orange survived and kept the streak alive as they defeated Georgetown 8-7 in the quarterfinals at Cornell's Schoellkopf Field.

Syracuse will meet top seed Johns Hopkins at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. It is the second straight year that the Orange and the Blue Jays will meet in the national semifinals. The Blue Jays defeated Syracuse, 17-5, on March 20 at Homewood Field. They have outscored SU, 36-13, in the past two meetings. In last year's semifinals, Hopkins posted a 19-8 victory against the Orange at M&T Bank Stadium.

The other national semifinal next week will pit No. 2-seeded Navy (14-2) against No. 6-seeded Princeton (11-3) at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 29. Both games will be televised LIVE by ESPN2.

"Once I came off the sideline and realized that there were only five seconds left, I started going crazy - 22 straight final fours became a reality," said Lindsay after the game. "We have a lot of seniors on this team. We have more tournament experience than any other team in the whole tournament. We are a very determined group. We came in here together and know each other real well. We're real focused and determined on what we want to get done. We have a really, really tough mountain to climb next week. We'll enjoy this win until the sun goes down and then Hopkins. It's right in front of us."

Georgetown held a 6-4 advantage with 10:07 left in the third quarter after Walid Hajj scored on a goal from Sean Denihan. The Hoyas went up 7-6 at the 11:09 mark of the fourth quarter when Denihan registered his game-high fourth goal off a feed from Brian Young.

Kevin Dougherty tied the game at 7-7 with 8:19 remaining in the contest. With less than five minutes to play, Georgetown had possession and took its time working the ball around for a good shot. The Hoyas attempted at least three shots that were either wide or saved by SU goaltender Jay Pfeifer. The Syracuse defense withstood the pressure in the final five minutes and junior close defender Scott Ditzell forced Hajj to cough the ball up. Ditzell picked up the groundball and with 1:43 remaining, SU called timeout. The Orange worked the ball behind the cage to Crockett who delivered a pass to senior attackman Brian Nee who came up short with the shot.

Georgetown was awarded the ball and within seconds was called off-sides. Possession was given to the Orangemen with less than a minute and the Orange used its last timeout to set up Lindsay's game-winning shot.

Pfeifer had 19 saves against the Hoyas for the second time in 16 days. He tied his career-high with 19 saves in the final regular-season game against Georgetown in Washington on May 7. It was the most saves for Pfeifer in an NCAA playoff game since the 2002 semifinals when he recorded 19 saves against Virginia. Pfeifer upped his NCAA Tournament record to 7-1.

Denihan scored three first-quarter goals for Georgetown, while freshman attackman Trevor Casey added a score to give the Hoyas a 4-2 advantage after the first 15 minutes.

SU sophomore attackman Brian Crockett tallied the game's first goal just 56 seconds into the contest. Dougherty and Lindsay connected for SU's second goal which tied the game at 2-2 with 5:46 remaining in the first quarter.

The Hoyas led 5-3 at halftime.

Michael Powell finished with a team-high three goals to increase his career point total to 297 points. Powell's first goal of the game came at 11:42 of the third quarter and pulled SU to within 5-4 of the Hoyas. His goal from 10 yards out just three minutes later tied the game at 6-6.

Cuse Nation Top Stories