Triple Overtime Not Enough; Frogs Fall to TTU

A young TCU team fought hard but came up on the short end of a triple overtime thriller with Texas Tech, 56-53. Trevone Boykin showed leadership in the comeback attempt but ultimately, it wasn't enough.

The TCU Horned Frogs came into the day riding high after a big 49-21 victory over Baylor but so did the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Tech completely dominated then #5 West Virginia 49-14 last week to set up a much anticipated showdown in Ft. Worth today. Like two heavy weight fighters slugging it out for 15 rounds, Tech and TCU traded blows with the Red Raiders making more plays in overtime to win it 56-53 in triple overtime.

"Well, it was a heck of a ballgame" said TCU's Gary Patterson. "You've got to give credit to Tech for finding a way to win the ballgame. We've got to find a way to make plays."

TCU raced out to an early 10-7 lead after one and their defense held Tech in check most of the day. That might be hard to believe but one look at the stats and they tell a story of a physical game. Midway through the 3rd quarter and TCU had held Tech to 8 yards rushing and under 300 total yards. But it doesn't matter what the stats say, the only statistic that matters is the final score and Texas Tech made more plays when it mattered the most.

"Like I told my kids in the locker room there's nobody else to blame" said Patterson. "I can do a better job calling it, coaches got to do a better job and we've got to find a way to make plays. Welcome to the Big 12."

"I do think this; I do think we proved that we can play in it."

If you see a theme here, it's simple. You have to make more plays than the other team. TCU was down 36-26 with 4:01 left in regulation and they could have easily folded. But, like they've shown time and time again, they battled. Trevone Boykin hooked up with LaDarius Brown on a 60 yard bomb for a TD to cut the lead to 36-33 and then, with 2 timeouts and starting at their own 19 yard line, led the Frogs into field goal position.

Jaden Oberkrom drilled a 42 yard field goal with 1:02 remaining to send the game into overtime tied 36-36.

"We were down 10 points and they already think they sealed the deal, they're jumping around and we come back and tie the game."

"You've got to give our team a lot of credit, they fought back and tied the score and went into overtime but we've got to make plays" said Patterson. "You can't settle for field goals; that's what we did on the last one. You've got to find a way to get touchdowns."

Overtime ended up being the most electric football that's been played at Amon Carter stadium since the 2009 game with Utah; with the crowd behind them, the Frogs fought until the very end. But like coach Patterson has preached from day one, you have to make plays.

"They made one more play than we did" he said. "We can't do any more on special teams except cover the one onside kick; that's the difference in the ball game to be honest with you."

Although they fought hard, they ultimately came up short, but the key to the rest of the season will be how this young team bounces back. A tough road game lies ahead against Oklahoma State but just like the Baylor game, expect the young Frogs to come out firing in Stillwater next week.

Horned Frog Insider Top Stories