Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

TCU Can't Complete Comeback Against Oklahoma, fall short 30-29

The Frogs were able to make it close, but came up just one point short of completing a 17 point comeback against the Sooners.

After scoring a touchdown after trailing by seven with 51 seconds left, TCU head coach Gary Patterson left his offense on the field for the 2-point conversion. Bram Kohlhuasen took the snap, rolled to his right where Shaun Nixon was waiting wide open in the end zone, but Oklahoma safety Steven Parker batted the pass away, and the Sooners would hold on for a one-point victory.

The loss drops the No.18 Horned Frogs to 9-2 (6-2 Big 12) while the No. 7 Sooners advance to 10-1 (7-1 Big 12).

Though a single point decided the game, it wasn’t close until the final minutes.

The Frogs found themselves down 30-13 in the third quarter until Kohlhausen was able to find KaVontae Turpin deep down field. The true freshman wide receiver was able to haul in the pass, make a man miss and beat the Sooner’s secondary into the end zone for an 86 yard score.

With 8:20 left in the game, TCU’s defense needed to make a play to dig into the Sooner’s 10 point lead. The senior leader of the defense, Derrick Kindred did just that with an interception at midfield.

TCU’s offense was able to drive down to the OU 26 and set up Jaden oberkrom for a 42 field goal, which he was able to sneak inside the left post to cut the Sooner’s lead to 30-23.

The Frogs forced the Sooners to go three-and-out on their ensuing drive. The Frogs got the ball back at their own 24 and were able to sustain a 3:31 minute drive to OU 14. Faced with a 3rd-and-eight, Kohlhausen was able to find Emmanuel Porter between two Sooner defensive backs in the corner of end zone before the failed to convert the 2-point attempt.

Before the fourth quarter, the Frogs struggled mightily on offense. Although the Frogs starter Foster Sawyer was able to connect with Kolby Listenbee early for a 46 yard touchdown pass, the freshman couldn’t get the offense in rhythm. Sawyer would throw three interceptions, two of them to Sooner corner Zack Sanchez on underthrown deep passes. He was benched in the second half and finished with only 107 yards passing on just eight completions. The Sooners ended up scoring 24 of their 30 points off of TCU turnovers.

The bright spot for the Horned Frogs offense was running back Aaron Green. The senior would capitalize on the first play after an OU special teams miscue with a 26 yard touchdown run. The score was set up by a low snap to OU punter Austin Seibert, who caught a low snap with his knee on the ground. Green’s score would cut the Sooner’s lead to 23-13

While TCU’s offense found itself stuck in neutral for most of the night, its defense was able to keep the Frogs within reach. The Horned Frog defense forced the Sooners to punt nine times and allowed them to convert just four times on 20 third down attempts.

The Frogs only allowed the Sooners just one score in the second half on a 72 yard run by Samaje Perine, who finished the game with 188 yards and a touchdown on 26 attempts. However, a big reason why the Sooners struggle was due to the absence of their starter Baker Mayfield, who did not play the second half after suffering concussion like symptoms. The injury appeared to be sustained in the 2nd quarter when TCU linebacker Ty Summers made contact with the quarterback’s helmet. Mayfield looked shaken up, but he remained in the game until he told trainer he had a headache during the halftime break. Summers was ejected for targeting after the play was reviewed. 

Mayfield’s replacement, Trevor Knight could never solve the TCU defense as he went 5-for-16 passing for just 76 yards.

Knight's counterpart, Bram Kohlhusen, would finish the game with 122 yards and two touchdowns.

During the game, ABC’s Holly Rowe said Trevone Boykin told her that he may be available against Baylor, but the quarterback’s status still remains questionable for the Black Friday showdown.

Horned Frog Insider Top Stories