Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

TCU Upsets Baylor in Double Overtime, 28-21

It wasn't pretty, but the Frogs were able to whether the rain and come out on top.

It was cold. It was windy. It was wet.  It wasn’t the game we expected to see from two of the nation’s best offenses. Eventually, TCU found a way to score once the rain lightened up in overtime, while Baylor was inches short of getting another chance to force a third overtime period.

Trevone Boykin was able to find his receiver KaVontae Turpin wide open in the end zone to take the lead in the second overtime period. The Frogs would stop the Bear’s attempt at a fourth-and-one conversion and the fans would rush the field, as Baylor’s did last year after the Bears 61-58 victory. The Frogs would find themselves on the right side of a 28-21 decision.  The win advances the Frogs’ record to 10-2 (8-1 Big 12) as the Bears drop to 9-2 (6-2 Big 12).

The game actually started off like we were going to see another shootout between the two rivals. Baylor drove inside the red zone, but quarterback Chris Johnson threw an interception in the end zone to Julius Lewis. But DT Josh Carraway hit Johnson late, and a 15 yard penalty was enforced as a result. The Bears would take advantage of Carraway’s mistake when they handed the ball off to Devin Chafin, who scored from one yard up to put the Bears up 7-0.

Boykin would answer Baylor’s touchdown with a 25 yard strike to Jarrison Stewart to even the score at 7-7. It was the freshman’s first touchdown reception of his TCU career.  

 But Baylor would jump back ahead a minute later with a scoring drive set up by a 33 yard rush by Johnny Jefferson. Chafin would finish the series off with a five yard touchdown rush to put the Bears up 14-7.

 The Frogs would tie it up again, but this time, it was the defense that added to the Frogs point total.  Chris Johnson would try to push past the line of scrimmage at midfield, but he lost his grasp on the ball as he was going down. The ball was kicked out behind the play and into the hands of Josh Carraway. The 6-foot-4, 250 pound junior would scoop up the ball and take it 56 yards to the end zone to tie the game at 14-14.

 After Carraway’s scoop-and-score, neither team would be able to tally in regulation. The two teams combined for 23 punts and were 8-39 on third down conversions.

The defenses would play a big role in that. The Frogs would force five turnovers: four fumbles and one interception by safety Nick Orr.

Redshirt freshman linebacker Ty Summers would record 23 tackles, which is three more than any TCU player since Patterson has been coaching the Horned Frogs.

In overtime, the Bears took their first possession into the end zone with a short pass to Chafin. The Frogs would answer with a hand off to Turpin, who was ruled down at the one, even though it appeared he scored on the play. But Boykin would use some misdirection and score on the next play.

After Boykin found Turpin again on the following possession to give the Frogs the lead, the Bears couldn’t answer. On 4th and one at the 16 yard line, Chafin would be met by Summers and Lewis, just short of the line to gain.

The students stormed the field as Baylor’s tears fell from the sky in frigid Fort Worth cold. And just like that, 61-58 became no more.

Horned Frog Insider Top Stories