TCU MEDIA RELATIONS:
FORT WORTH – Evan Williams’ career day at the plate helped No. 1 TCU even the series with Arizona State as it held on for an 8-4 victory Saturday. Williams went 2-for-3 with three RBIs in the win.
The Sun Devils had runners on in all but two innings, but the TCU pitching staff wiggled off the hook, stranding a total of 14 base runners in the game. After allowing a first-inning run to ASU, Nick Lodolo settled down to pitch five innings of four-hit baseball. He walked four and struck out six.
TCU bounced back from the early deficit with one swing of the bat in the bottom of the first. With two on and one out, Luken Baker launched his team-leading third home run of the season, a 3-run shot that put the Frogs up 3-1.
The Frogs manufactured a run in the fourth, taking advantage of a one-out walk to Williams. Barzilli made it a 4-1 ballgame with a two-out double.
TCU doubled its lead in the seventh, scoring four runs on three hits and three walks. Ryan Merrill made it a 5-1 ballgame with a sharply-hit single to third with two outs. Williams followed with a bases-clearing double to push the lead to seven, 8-1.
The Sun Devils mounted a two-out rally of their own in the bottom of the inning as six straight batters reached with two outs, three of them coming around to score. Sean Wymer came on to get the final four outs of the game to record his first career save.
Stat of the Game
13 – Three TCU pitchers combined to strikeout 13 Arizona State batters. It’s the fourth time this season, TCU has fanned 10 or more batters in a game.
• For the fourth time in five home games, the attendance mark surpassed 5,000. Saturday’s attendance was 5,153.
• TCU has homered in five straight games.
• TCU recorded five stolen bases in the contest, the third time this season TCU has had five or more stolen bases in a game.
• TCU drew a season-high 10 walks in the win.
• Luken Baker hit his third home run of the season and the 14th of his career.
• Baker also collected his second multi-RBI game of the year and the 20th of his career.
• Nolan Brown and Cam Warner have reached base in all six games this season.
• Brown notched his third multi-hit game of the season and the 21st of his career.
• Austen Wade stretched his hitting streak to five games.
• Evan Williams collected his first career multi-hit game and his first career multi-RBI game.
• Evan Skoug has reached base in five straight games.
TCU improves to 5-1 on the season with the victory. The Horned Frogs and the Sun Devils will vie for the series win on Sunday afternoon starting at 1 p.m. Jared Janczak will get the start for the Frogs and face the Sun Devils’ Spencer Van Scoyoc.