TCU MEDIA RELATIONS:
FORT WORTH – Jared Janczak retired the first 22 batters he faced and tossed eight no-hit innings in helping No. 3 TCU to a 5-1 victory over Kansas. The Horned Frogs scored all five of their runs in the seventh.
Janczak mowed down the Kansas hitters for most of the game, retiring 24 of 25 batters heading into the ninth inning. Only two balls left the infield. Of his 14 strikeouts, seven of them were called strike three. He pitched around a one-out error in the eighth before surrendering the no-hitter in the ninth.
Kansas pitcher Taylor Turski went toe-to-toe with Janczak through six innings but ran into trouble in the seventh following a lead-off single from Josh Watson. With one out and runners on the corners, Ryan Merrill looped a single over the out-stretched glove of the second baseman to make it a 1-0 game.
Elliott Barzilli and Ryan Merrill executed a double steal and scored easily on an Austen Wade two-out base hit to make it a 3-0 game. Two batters later, Evan Skoug ripped a double into the left center field gap for a 5-0 lead.
The Jayhawks broke up the no-hitter with a lead-off single in the ninth. With the bases loaded, a fielder’s choice allowed Kansas’ only run of the game to score. Trey Morris got a pop up and a strikeout to end the game.
Stat of the Game
22 – Jared Janczak retired the first 22 batters he faced, striking out a career-high 14 of them en route to earning his fifth win of the season.
• TCU improved to 9-1 at home this season and has won 16 of its last 17 home games.
• TCU tallied double-digit strikeouts for the 10th time this season.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 29 times this season.
• Josh Watson extended his hitting streak to 13 games.
• Cam Warner collected his fourth multi-hit game of the year and the 27th of his career.
• Evan Skoug registered his second multi-hit game of the season and the 42nd of his career.
• Skoug tallied his third multi-RBI game of the year and the 29th of his career.
• Austen Wade extended his hitting streak to five games.
• Wade collected his fourth multi-RBI game of the season and the 11th of his career.
TCU improves to 14-4 overall and 2-0 in Big 12 Conference play. The Horned Frogs will go for the series sweep on Sunday afternoon. Brian Howard’s first pitch is set for 1 p.m. The game will be televised on FSSW+ and available on the FOXSportsGo app.