TCU MEDIA RELATIONS:
FORT WORTH – TCU scored three unanswered runs to rally for a 3-1 victory over Kansas in its Big 12 opener Friday night at Lupton Stadium. Ryan Merrill homered and drove in two runs to help lead the Horned Frogs to victory.
Entering the sixth inning trailing 1-0, the Frogs scratched and clawed to get the game tied at one. Cam Warner reached on a one-out single. A walk and a hit batter loaded the bases with one out. The Kansas left fielder stole a base hit from Josh Watson with a diving grab, but that allowed Warner to race home with the tying run.
Merrill opened the seventh inning with a solo home run to right field to give TCU its first lead of the game. His ground ball in the eighth with runners on the corners allowed Watson to score the insurance run.
Kansas tried to get back in the game, loading the bases with one out on a hit batter, a walk and a base hit. Durbin Feltman got a game-ending double play to lock up the victory for his fourth save of the season.
Sean Wymer (1-0) picked up the win in relief of Nick Lodolo with 2 1/3 scoreless innings. Lodolo was strong in his first Friday night start of the season, allowing a run on four hits. He walked one and struck out five in 5 2/3 innings of work.
Stat of the Game
3 – TCU turned a trio of double plays in the game, the last one getting the Frogs out of a bases-loaded with one out jam in the ninth.
• TCU is 5-0 all-time in Big 12 openers.
• TCU is 13-1 in conference openers under the guidance of head coach Jim Schlossnagle.
• TCU played flawless defense for the fourth time this season.
• TCU has trailed in 14 of 17 games this season and come back to win nine times
• Ryan Merrill hit his second home run of the season and the third of his career.
• Merrill tallied his second multi-RBI game of the season and the ninth of his career.
• Josh Watson extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
• Watson tallied his fifth multi-hit game of the year and the 22nd of his career.
• Cam Warner collected his third multi-hit game of the year and the 26th of his career.
• Nolan Brown tallied his eighth multi-hit game of the season and the 26th of his career.
• Brown and Austen Wade extended their hitting streaks to four games.
• Durbin Feltman is 13-for-13 in save opportunities in his career.
With the victory, TCU improves to 13-4 overall and 1-0 in Big 12 play. The Horned Frogs and the Jayhawks return to the diamond Saturday for Game 2 of the series. First pitch is set for 5 p.m. The game will be televised on FSSW.