TCU MEDIA RELATIONS:
FORT WORTH – No. 3 TCU led wire-to-wire in stretching its winning streak to four games with a 10-2 victory over UT Rio Grande Valley night at Lupton Stadium. Ryan Merrill’s career-high four RBIs led the Horned Frog attack.
TCU opened the scoring with a four-run second. Back-to-back singles from Luken Baker and Josh Watson had runners on the corners with nobody out. Elliott Barzilli ripped a base hit up the middle to put the Frogs on top. Merrill followed with a three-run blast to right field for a 4-0 lead.
A lead-off walk to Evan Skoug turned into a 5-0 lead. Baker singled and stole second. The throw to the base got away, allowing Skoug to score easily from third.
UTRGV picked up a pair of runs, one each in the fourth and fifth inning to pull within three, 5-2.
TCU put the game out of reach with a five spot in the eighth. Merrill added his fourth RBI of the night to drive in the first run of the frame. Austen Wade picked up a bases-loaded walk and Cam Warner doubled home two more runs. Skoug’s sacrifice fly capped the scoring.
On the mound, Jake Eissler (3-0) allowed a run on six hits in four innings of work. Charles King allowed an unearned run in three innings of relief. Sean Wymer struck out all three batters he faced and Cal Coughlin fanned two of the three he faced to close out the win.
Stat of the Game
6 – For just the sixth time this season, TCU won a game in which it did not trail at any point.
• TCU scored double-digit runs for the fifth time this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits for the eighth time this season.
• TCU scored first for the 10th time this season.
• TCU has homered in 13 games this season.
• TCU has tallied multiple runs in an inning 35 times this season.
• Jake Eissler made his first career start
• Evan Skoug has an RBI in six straight games.
• Austen Wade has reached base safely in 12 straight games.
• Cam Warner pushed his hitting streak to seven games.
• Warner tallied his fifth multi-RBI game of the season and the 15th of his career.
• Ryan Merrill collected his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 17th of his career.
• Merrill hit his third home run of the season and the fourth of his career.
• Merrill notched his third multi-RBI game of the season and the 10th of his career.
• Luken Baker posted his sixth multi-hit game of the season and the 33rd of his career.
• Elliott Barzilli tallied his fifth multi-hit game of the season and the 47th of his career.
TCU improves to 18-5 overall with the victory. The Horned Frogs and the Vaqueros will wrap up the midweek seriesnight at Dalton Horton will take the mound for the Horned Frogs and face the Vaqueros’ Eddie Delgado.