TCU MEDIA RELATIONS:
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – A quartet of walks and a hit batter proved to be No. 3 TCU’s downfall in the ninth inning as West Virginia scored twice to walk-off with a 5-4 victory and a series win on Sunday.
With one down in the ninth, a hit batter and three straight walks tied the game. Darius Hill worked a two-out walk to drive in the game-winning run and handing Durbin Feltman (2-1) his first career loss.
The ninth inning brought to a close a see-saw affair that saw the lead change hands on two occasions. West Virginia took advantage of a lead-off walk in the first to take a 1-0 lead.
TCU rallied back to tie the game in the second. Luken Baker led off the inning with a base hit and moved to second on a wild pitch. Connor Wanhanen dumped a double down the left field line to drive in Baker for a 1-1 ballgame.
The Mountaineers struck for a pair of runs in the third. Doubles from Jackson Kramer and Kyle Davis pushed the lead to two, 3-1.
The Frogs again answered back with a trio of runs in the fourth. With two on and one out, Nolan Brown made it a one-run ballgame with a double. A wild pitch tied the game and Wanhanen’s second hit of the day gave TCU a 4-3 lead.
TCU had multiple chances to extend its lead but ultimately couldn’t come up with the hit. The Frogs had four runners erased on the base paths and stranded 11 more, six of which were in scoring position.
Stat of the Game
68 – TCU had won 68 straight games when leading after eight innings dating back to 2015.
• TCU’s last loss when leading after eight innings came on May 30, 2015 against NC State.
• TCU has tallied multiple runs in an inning 57 times this season.
• TCU recorded double-digits hits for the 14th time this season.
• Austen Wade has reached base safely in 23 straight games.
• Luken Baker stretched his hitting streak to 16 games and his on-base streak to 17.
• Baker collected his 10th multi-hit game of the season and the 37th of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in seven straight.
• Wanhanen posted his second multi-hit game of the season and the 29th of his career.
• Wanhanen collected his third multi-RBI game of the year and the 21st of his career.
• Nolan Brown has reached base safely in 14 straight games.
• Brown extended his hitting streak to seven games.
• Brown recorded his fifth multi-RBI game of the year and the 13th of his career.
• Cam Warner collected his 11th multi-hit game of the season and the 34th of his career.
• Josh Watson collected his eighth multi-hit game of the season and the 25th of his career.
• Evan Skoug has reached base safely in 19 straight games.
• Durbin Feltman fell to 18-for-19 in save opportunities in his career.
With the loss, TCU falls to 28-7 overall and 9-3 in Big 12 play. TCU will next hit the diamondwhen it hosts Baylor for a three game series. first pitch is set for at Lupton Stadium.