TCU MEDIA RELATIONS:
BERKELEY, Calif. – The pitching quartet of Jared Janczak, Nick Lodolo, Sean Wymer and Durbin Feltman combined to hold Cal to just four base runners as No. 6 TCU registered its fourth shutout of the season with a 3-0 win .
Janczak (7-0) retired all nine batters he faced in his return to the mound. The sophomore registered four Ks in the contest. Lodolo surrendered three hits and struck out three in his three innings on the mound. Wymer pitched two scoreless innings and Feltman retired all three he faced in the ninth.
Evan Skoug got the scoring started with a two-out home run on the first pitch he saw. He deposited the offering over the left field fence for his 16th home run and the fourth in the last four games.
Singles by Nolan Brown and Ryan Merrill had runners on the corners with one out in the second. Merrill stole second, but the throw sailed into center field allowing Brown to score from third for a 2-0 lead.
Cal’s best chance to score came in the sixth as it had runners on the corners with one out. Merrill made a strong pick on a hot shot to short, starting an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play.
TCU took advantage of a pair of Cal errors in the eighth to push the lead to 3-0. Connor Wanhanen led off the inning with a base hit, stolen second and moved to third on a throwing error. Cam Warner’s fly ball to right was dropped, but it would have been deep enough for a sac fly as Wanhanen tagged up and scored.
Stat of the Game
4 – Cal managed just four base runners (three hits and a hit batter) in the game. The Bears didn’t get their first base runner until the sixth inning.
• TCU registered its fourth shutout of the year.
• TCU has homered in 30 games this season.
• TCU stole multiple bases in a game for the 23rd time this season.
• TCU played flawless defense for the 19th time this season.
• TCU tallied a first inning run for the 18th time this season.
• Jared Janczak made his first start sinceat West Virginia.
• Nick Lodolo made his first career relief appearance.
• Durbin Feltman tallied his 13th save of the season and the 22nd of his career.
• Evan Skoug has reached base safely in 31 straight games.
• Skoug hits his 16th home run of the season and the 32nd of his career.
• Skoug also tallied his 17th multi-hit game of the year and the 57th of his career.
• Elliott Barzilli and Skoug pushed their hitting streaks to eight games.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 18 straight games.
• Wanhanen has hit safely in seven straight games.
• Josh Watson picked up his 11th multi-hit game of the year and the 28th of his career.
With the win, TCU improves to 38-13 on the season. The Horned Frogs and the Bears return to the diamondnight at . The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.