TCU MEDIA RELATIONS:
BERKELEY, Calif. – TCU used a 5-run sixth inning to rally from a 2-0 deficit, eventually escaping with a 5-4 win over Calnight at Evans Diamond. Cam Warner and Austen Wade each connected on their fifth home runs of the season.
Cal opened up a 2-0 advantage after five innings of play. The Bears scored their first run of the series in third as it took advantage of back-to-back singles to open the frame. A double steal turned into a 1-0 lead. In the fifth, a one-out base hit from Jonah Davis pushed the advantage to 2-0.
TCU had its chances early in the game, but stranded six base runners in the first five frames. The bats came to life in the sixth as the Frogs scored all five of their runs to open up a 5-2 lead.
Cam Warner hit a towering home run to left of the first pitch he saw in the frame. With two outs and runners on the corners, Michael Landestoy line a double down the left field line to clear the bases for a 3-2 lead. On the very next pitch, Austen Wade sent his fifth home run of the season sailing over the right field fence for a three-run lead, 5-2.
The Bears scratched across another run in the seventh after a pair of lead-off singles. The damage was minimized by Cal Coughlin, who retired three in a row to keep the Frog lead.
Cal inched closer in the ninth as a lead-off single turned into a two-out run on a double by Matt Ruff. Durbin Feltman locked it down with a shallow fly out to second to end the game.
Brian Howard (8-3) earned the win after allowing three runs on eight hits in six innings of work.
Stat of the Game
14 – Durbin Feltman recorded his 14th save of the season and his second of the weekend. The 14 saves are tied for the second most in a single season (Riley Ferrell in 2015).
• TCU has homered in 31 games this season.
• TCU has stolen multiple bases in a game 24 times this season.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 80 times this season.
• TCU didn’t walk a batter for the second straight game.
• Durbin Feltman tallied his 14th save of the season and the 23rd of his career.
• Austen Wade collected his 16th multi-hit game of the season and the 35th of his career.
• Wade tallied his 11th multi-RBI game of the year and the 18th of his career.
• Wade hit his fifth home run of the season and the sixth of his career.
• Cam Warner hit his fifth home run of the season and the 11th of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 19 straight games.
• Wanhanen has hit safely in eight straight games.
• Elliott Barzilli has reached base safely in nine games.
• Michael Landestoy collected his second multi-RBI game of the season and the sixth of his career.
With the win, TCU improves to 39-13 on the season. The Horned Frogs will go for the series sweep Saturday afternoon at. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.