Indeed. Burnett finished with 6 solo tackles, 2 assists and a tackle for loss.
On the third play of the scrimmage, he knifed through traffic to drop first-team tailback for no gain. Moments later, he stuffed Gerald Riggs for a one-yard loss. A few snaps later, he stood up Riggs for no gain. All of this occurred in his first dozen or so snaps.
Another impressive defensive performer was sophomore cornerback Roshaun Fellows. He provided airtight coverage for most of the scrimmage and outbattled Jayson Swain to intercept a pass in the end zone, returning it 37 yards.
''That was a very athletic interception Roshaun Fellows made,'' Fulmer noted. ''The guy continues to push himself into the mix. That's what more guys need to do.''
Antonio Reynolds, who enrolled early after a stint in prep school, registered three minus-yardage stops and an assist from his defensive end spot. Fellow defensive end Jason Hall chipped in two more tackles for loss. Safety Jarod Parrish recorded five solo stops.
Although the head man said the offensive line ''wasn't pushing people around very much,'' the ground game was somewhat productive.
Jabari Davis (nine carries for 39 yards) and Gerald Riggs (11 carries for 29 yards) took advantage of a few openings to make a few nice runs.
''The running backs ran hard, which was good to see,'' Fulmer said.
Derrick Tinsley led all receivers with four catches for 37 yards. Jomo Fagan added four for 33. Tony Brown had three grabs for 44 yards and tight end Victor McClure three for 25 yards. Jayson Swain had two catches for 41 yards, including a 32-yard touchdown catch.
Dustin Colquitt punted eight times for a 42.2-yard average but placekicker James Wilhoit, who nailed 12 of his final 13 attempts during the 2003 regular season, struggled mightily. He started 0 for 3, missing wide left from 50 and 45 yards, then hitting the right upright from 38 yards. He connected from 33 yards, then missed from 52. After making three in a row from 37 yards, he missed three in succession from the same distance.
''I'm very disappointed that our really fine kicker didn't kick it better,'' Fulmer said. ''But if you remember last fall we went through the same kind of thing. But he's a really fine kicker, and he'll work through that and be just fine.''
James Banks was withheld from the workout for the old ''violation of team rules,'' Fulmer said, noting that the violation was not substance related. Banks has not been the Vols' most dedicated student, so this suspension is probably related to academic deficiencies. Fulmer said he has not decided if Banks will be allowed to practice Tuesday.
''I'm hoping James continues to address all the things it takes to be a good student/athlete/person,'' Fulmer said. ''If he does, he'll have a tremendous future here.''
Scrimmage highlights included:
• Rolling to his left, C.J. Leak completes a 17-yard strike to Tony Brown.
• Rick Clausen hits Jomo Fagan for 11 yards.
• Defensive end Jason Hall drops walk-on tailback David Yancey for a six-yard loss.
• Roshaun Fellows makes a nice breakup on a pass Clausen threw slightly behind Chris Hannon.
• Leak rolls right, then hits Hannon for a 17-yard gain.
•Sophomore safety Corey Campbell puts a big hit on Hannon.
• Kevin Simon, making the switch from outside linebacker to middle linebacker, stops Riggs in his tracks for a two-yard loss.
• Clausen shows great touch on a 20-yard toss to redshirt freshman Bill Grimes, who makes a nice leaping catch.
• End Jason Hall sacks Leak for a 10-yard loss.
• Leak hits C.J. Fayton for a 15-yard gain.
• Clausen hits Tony Brown for 15 yards.
• Jason Mitchell sacks Leak for a nine-yard loss.
• A big hit by Mitchell forces a fumble by Jabari Davis that fellow linebacker Marvin Mitchell recovers. As penance, Davis has to trot all the way up the Neyland Stadium steps and back.
• Clausen burns the No. 2 defense with a quick strike to Jayson Swain that produces a 32-yard touchdown.
• Clausen hits Derrick Tinsley on a slant pass that goes for roughly 25 yards.
• Yancey circles right end for a 20-yard touchdown run against reserve defenders.
• Leak makes a great throw to Fagan, who makes a nice catch for a gain of 15 before Jarod Parrish delivers a big hit.
• Riggs shows some explosion on an 18-yard run against the No. 1 defense.
• Jabari Davis tacks on a 12-yard run against the No. 1 defense.
• Jonathan Crompton, one of the top three junior quarterbacks in high school football, attended the scrimmage, along with his parents. Crompton also attended last Saturday's Junior Day workout.