The bad news: He was considerably less encouraged after watching Tuesday's situational scrimmage.
''There was a lot of good things that came out of the Saturday scrimmage,'' Fulmer said. ''Defensively, I thought there were some real good licks passed. Antonio Reynolds (freshman defensive end from Hargrave Military) and Jarod Hostetter (redshirt freshman who has moved from linebacker to defensive end) really ran around well.
''Our linebackers played extremely well. Both of the more mature corners (Jason Allen, Antwan Stewart) played well. Our safeties did not tackle as well as we'd like. Corey Campbell played well but Brandon Johnson missed too many tackles.''
Although the offense had trouble scoring on Saturday, Fulmer's film review revealed some positive signs from the attack unit, as well.
''Offensively, we're close,'' he said. ''We made two or three drives but didn't get it in. I'm real happy with the effort the quarterbacks are making right now to do what we're asking them to do.''
No. 1 QB C.J. Leak, who threw the ball exceptionally well on Saturday, wasn't quite as effective on Tuesday. Backup Rick Clausen didn't enjoy one of his better days, either. One overthrow produced an easy interception and a long runback.
''We had one turnover today, and that wasn't good,'' Fulmer said. ''Generally, we've got a ton of work to do with both sides.''
The biggest concern -- other than finding an adequate quarterback -- seems to be locating someone to wreak some havoc along the defensive front.
''We're not having anybody right now making anything big happen on the defensive front,'' Fulmer said. ''We're playing our technique pretty well but we need someone who's going to disrupt the offense other than (linebacker) Kevin Burnett.''
The Vols are tentatively scheduled to practice Thursday and Friday, then hold what Fulmer called ''a big scrimmage'' on Saturday.
Tailback Gerald Riggs sprained his ankle and missed the last half of Tuesday's workout but appears to be OK.
''It was really ugly when it happened because he got it rolled way under him,'' Fulmer said, ''but they (trainers) were taping it up to see if he could come back in. I'm hoping he'll be back but I don't know what his status is.''
No. 1 right guard Cody Douglas remains sidelined by an ankle injury suffered in Saturday's scrimmage. No. 3 quarterback James Banks watched Tuesday's workout in street clothes. He remains suspended, apparently for letting his academics slide.
''James will not practice with us until we get some things squared away,'' Fulmer said. ''Until he does that, I don't expect him out here.''
Prior to Tuesday's scrimmaging, several players participated in the spirited ''Volunteer Drill.'' Guard Rob Smith stood up juco defensive tackle Jesse Mahelona, who is strong and quick but struggling with his technique a bit. Juco offensive tackle Albert Toeaina got the better of defensive tackle Tony McDaniel. Transplanted defensive lineman David Ligon, now playing guard, twice did a number on defensive end Jarod Hostetter. Linebacker Daniel Brooks fought off tight end Brad Cottam and made a big hit on tailback David Yancey. Brooks also beat fullback Cory Anderson one-on-one.
Highlights of the scrimmaging included:
* No. 1 tailback Cedric Houston hit a big hole at left tackle and gained
roughly 30 yards against the No. 1 defense.
* Leak hit Jayson Swain on a slant route for roughly 20 yards.
* Leak hit tight end Victor McClure for six yards to the 14-yard line. On the next play, however, a defensive lineman (probably Greg Jones) tipped a pass from Leak that defensive end Turk McBride intercepted and returned five yards.
* Clausen found Bill Grimes in a seam, producing a 40-yard gain against the No. 2 defense.
* Clausen hit Brad Cottam for a five-yard gain. When two running plays failed to gain a first down, James Wilhoit tries a 34-yard field goal. There were no officials on hand but a student manager located under the goal post waved his arms in the ''no good'' signal.
* Clausen found tight end Justin Reed for a 12-yard gain.
* Redshirt freshman cornerback Roshaun Fellows intercepted a Clausen overthrow and returns it 50 yards to the 10-yard line.
* Fellows made a nice pass breakup on a short throw over the middle from Leak.
* Antonio Reynolds sacked Leak for a 10-yard loss on the final play of the workout.