Cannon was listed as an ''athlete'' when he signed with UT out of Greer, S.C., in 2004. Despite Tennessee's crying need at safety, he insisted on playing offense -- quarterback or receiver -- as a freshman. After redshirting as a receiver in 2004, he's listed as a 6-2, 210-pound defensive back on the pre-spring roster. Another notable position switch involves yet another 2004 signee, Robert Ayers of Clio, S.C. Signed as a linebacker, he's now listed as a 6-3, 251-pound defensive end candidate.
Apparently, the Vols are pretty good at putting on weight. Several of them have bulked up considerably since last season.
* Guard Ramon Foster is now listed as 6-6 and 340 pounds.
* O-tackle Arron Sears is now listed as 6-4, 338 pounds.
* Center prospect David Ligon has gone from 280 pounds to 300
* Center Cameron Mayo has bulked up from 260 to 280 pounds.
* Tailback David Yancey has bulked up to 198 pounds.
* Fullback Cory Anderson has gone from 265 to 275 pounds.
* Fullback David Holbert has bulked up from 240 to 259 pounds.
* Jared Hostetter has bulked up from 240 to 281 while moving from linebacker to end to defensive tackle.
* Linebacker Marvin Mitchell is now listed as 6-3 and 253 pounds.
* Linebacker Jon Poe has bulked up to 5-11 and 241 pounds.