Slipping a bit from Week 1 to Week 2 in the ratings was Tennessee. The Vol defense was a no-show in Saturday's 31-30 squeaker against Air Force. We'll know a lot more about UT (and the SEC East race) after the Vols host Florida this Saturday.
That said, here are this week's SEC Ratings:
1. AUBURN (9.0): Mississippi State limited Kenny Irons to 69 yards but couldn't stop quarterback Brandon Cox (18 of 27, 249 yards) as Auburn romped 34-0. The Tigers have outscored their first two foes a combined 74-14.
2. LSU (9.0): JaMarcus Russell (13 of 20, 198 yards) had another big day as the Tigers blasted Arizona 45-3. Despite significant graduation losses from 2005, LSU shows signs of being a real powerhouse this season.
5. TENNESSEE (8.0): Erik Ainge threw for a career-best 333 yards but Tennessee's defense was awful in a 31-30 defeat of Air Force. Thus, the Vols slip from No. 2 to No. 5 in the rankings.
6. ALABAMA (6.5): New quarterback John Parker Wilson (18 of 29, 207 yards) continues to impress but Bama's offensive line is so bad that Ken Darby managed just 65 yards on 21 rushes in the Tide's 13-10 defeat of Vanderbilt.
7. SOUTH CAROLINA (5.5): The Gamecocks drove to Georgia's 1-yard line and 2-yard line but came away empty in an 18-0 loss. The shutout was only the second of Steve Spurrier's coaching career. The previous one occurred in 1987, when he was at Duke.
8. ARKANSAS (5.5): Freshman Mitch Mustain completed just 9 of 17 throws for 117 yards as the Razorbacks sleepwalked past Utah State 20-0. Darren McFadden (20 carries for 184 yards) picked up the slack.
9. VANDERBILT (4.5): After a poor outing in his starting debut vs. Michigan, Chris Nickson had a pretty good day (15 of 23, 140 yards) in Vandy's 13-10 loss at Alabama. Standout receiver Earl Bennett was limited to five catches for 45 yards, however.
11. MISSISSIPPI STATE (4.0): The Bulldogs have crossed midfield just four times in their first two games, losing 15-0 to South Carolina and 34-0 to Auburn. Do you suppose offensive coordinator Woody McCorvey is feeling some heat?