Gator basketball coach Billy Donovan, coming off back-to-back national titles, will make $3.5 million. Gator football coach Urban Meyer, coming off a 2006 national title, will bank a reported $3.25 million. That's a combined $6.75 million.
Clearly, national championships don't come cheap. Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley recently conceded that he's shelling out megabucks to keep Donovan and Meyer but added that it's "the market for having highly successful coaches."
Actually, Foley is keeping Donovan for below-market value. Last week Billy D reneged on a five-year deal with the NBA's Orlando Magic that would've paid him $5.5 million annually, $2 million per year more than he'll draw in Gainesville.
Still, Donovan is believed to be the highest-paid coach in college basketball. Duke's records are private but Blue Devil head man Mike Krzezewski reportedly makes around $3 million annually. New Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie ($2.3 million) and Louisville's Rick Pitino ($2.25 million) also command big bucks. Ohio State's Thad Matta recently got a bump to $2.1 million and Texas coach Rick Barnes reportedly earns an even $2 million per year.
Nick Saban reportedly is the NCAA's highest-paid football coach, recently signing a deal with Alabama that pays him $4 million per year. Notre Dame's Charlie Weis is believed to make in the $3.3 million range, with Meyer third at $3.25 million.
Since coaching contracts are structured differently and some are laced with incentive clauses, an accurate comparison is impossible. Based on published reports in reputable sources, however, here's a reasonably accurate look at the NCAA's highest-paid revenue-sport duos:
1. Florida's Urban Meyer ($3.25 million) and Billy Donovan ($3.5 million) ... $6.75 million combined.
2. Alabama's Nick Saban ($4 million) and Mark Gottfried ($1 million) ... $5 million combined.
3. Texas' Mack Brown ($2.6 million) and Rick Barnes ($2.0 million) ... $4.6 million combined.
4. Ohio State's Jim Tressel ($2.45 million) and Thad Matta ($2.1 million) ... $4.55 million combined.
5. Notre Dame's Charlie Weis (estimated $3.3 million) and Mike Brey (estimated $1 million) ... $4.3 million combined.
7. Southern Cal's Pete Carroll ($2.78 million) and Tim Floyd ($850,000) ... $3.63 million combined.
8. North Carolina's Butch Davis ($1.8 million) and Roy Williams ($1.8 million) ... $3.6 million combined.
9. Duke's Ted Roof (estimated $500,000) and Mike Krzezewski (estimated $3 million) ... $3.5 million combined.
10. Louisville's Steve Kragthorpe ($1.1 million) and Rick Pitino ($2.25 million) … $3.35 million combined.
11. Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer ($2.05 million) and Bruce Pearl ($1.2 million) ... $3.25 million combined.
14. Auburn's Tommy Tuberville ($2.32 million) and Jeff Lebo ($750,000) ... $3.07 million combined.
15. Kentucky's Rich Brooks ($750,000) and Billy Gillispie ($2.3 million) ... $3.05 million combined.