At least one media outlet is reporting that Tennessee also had just one player picked in the 1993 draft but that is incorrect. NFL and UT records indicate there were two; defensive end Todd Kelly was chosen by the San Francisco 49ers in Round 1 and defensive back Dave Thomas by the Dallas Cowboys in Round 8.
It is worth noting that not one player off of Alabama's 2007 team that went 7-6 was selected in the 2008 NFL Draft. Nick Saban reeled in a No. 1 recruiting class, however, and his Tide bounced back to go 12-2 last fall. Clearly, one weak senior class isn't the end of the world.
Tennessee, however, has had back-to-back weak senior classes. Just three UT players were selected a year ago – linebacker Jerod Mayo (Patriots) in Round 1, tight end Brad Cottam (Chiefs) in Round 3 and quarterback Erik Ainge (Jets) in Round 5.
Having four players drafted in a two-year span might be cause for celebration at Vanderbilt but it's cause for concern at Tennessee, which historically has been one of college football's foremost producers of pro-caliber talent.
- The 1990 Vols had nine players drafted, including three (Charles McRae, Antone Davis, Alvin Harper) in Round 1
- The 1991 Vols also had nine players drafted, including two (Dale Carter, Chris Mims) in Round 1.
Since the NFL Draft was instituted in 1936, Tennessee has failed to produce a single draftee only twice ... in 1938 and '63. And, prior to last weekend, only seven times in program history did Tennessee produce just one draftee:
- End Roy Rose was selected in Round 4 of the 1936 draft.
- Back Phil Dickens was tabbed in Round 6 of the 1937 draft.
- End Al Hust was chosen in Round 3 of the 1943 draft.
- End Jim Powell was picked in Round 28 of the 1948 draft.
- Tackle Norm Meseroll was taken in Round 15 of the 1950 draft.
- Tackle Jerry DeLucca was an expansion pick of the fledgling Dallas Rangers in 1960.
- Glass in 1962.
For what it's worth, only eight times in program history have the Vols produced just two draftees:
- Back Babe Wood (Round 8) to the Chicago Bears and end Bowden Wyatt (11) to the Chicago Cardinals in 1939.
- Tackle Steve DeLong (Round 1) to the Chicago Bears and fullback Whit Canale (17) to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1965.
- Linebacker Ron McCartney (Round 2) to the Los Angeles Rams and tight end Tommy West (16) to the Tampa Bay Bucs in 1976.
- Defensive back Roland James (Round 1) to the New England Patriots and linebacker Craig Puki (3) to the San Francisco 49ers in 1980.
- Linebacker Keith DeLong (Round 1) to the 49ers and quarterback Jeff Francis (6) to the Los Angeles Raiders in 1989.
- Defensive end Todd Kelly (Round 1) to the 49ers and defensive back Dave Thomas (8) to the Dallas Cowboys in 1993.