Here's a closer look at how each of UT's remaining opponents fared:
- Alabama (Saturday in Tuscaloosa). The Tide (7-0, 4-0) got another brilliant defensive effort in a 20-6 defeat of South Carolina. Bama's Mark Barron returned an interception 77 yards for the game's first touchdown and the Tide limited the Gamecocks to 64 rushing yards. Mark Ingram sparked Bama's offense, carrying 24 times for 246 yards.
- South Carolina (Oct. 31 in Knoxville). The Gamecocks (5-2, 2-2) rely on the pass, and their passing attack failed them in a 20-6 loss at third-ranked Alabama. Sacked five times, Stephen Garcia completed just 20 of 46 passes for 214 yards and no touchdowns. He also threw an interception that was returned for a TD. The ground attack, minus suspended tailback Jarvis Giles, managed just 64 yards on 27 carries.
- Memphis (Nov. 7 in Knoxville). The Tigers (2-5) outgained Southern Miss 425-360 but somehow came out on the wrong end of a 36-16 score. Will Hudgens completed 26 of 42 passes for 255 yards and Curtis Steele added 136 yards on 24 rushes for Tommy West's team. The Tigers hurt their own cause by surrendering a 50-yard punt-return touchdown and incurring 11 penalties for 105 yards.
- Ole Miss (Nov. 14 in Oxford). The Rebels (4-2, 1-2) got an 88-yard touchdown return of the opening kickoff from freshman Jesse Grandy and rolled past UAB 48-13. Ole Miss led the hapless Blazers 41-0 after three quarters. Jevan Snead completed 15 of 22 passes for 240 yards.
- Vanderbilt (Nov. 21 in Knoxville) The offensively challenged Commodores (2-5, 0-4) lost a game but may have found a quarterback in their 34-10 setback to Georgia. After starter Larry Smith completed just 11 of 26 passes for 121 yards, Mackenzi Adams came on to complete 6 of 8 for 53 yards. The Dores converted on just 3 of 15 third-down plays but trailed just 17-10 in the third quarter before wilting.
- Kentucky (Nov. 28 in Lexington). The Wildcats (3-3, 1-3) scored twice in the final seven minutes to shock Auburn 21-14 on The Plains. With first-team quarterback Mike Hartline sidelined by injury, the Big Blue relied on its ground game. Derrick Locke rushed 19 times for 126 yards and Randall Cobb added 12 carries for 109 yards out of the Wildcat package.