Here's a brief history lesson:
- Dec. 8, 2001: A second-ranked Tennessee football team is shocked 31-20 by an LSU team ranked No. 21 in the SEC Championship Game, costing the Vols a bid to the Rose Bowl for the BCS Championship Game.
- Dec. 31, 2002: Tennessee is manhandled 30-3 by an unheralded Maryland team in the Peach Bowl.
- Jan. 2, 2004: A sixth-ranked Tennessee squad suffers a stunning 27-14 loss to an unranked Clemson team in the Peach Bowl.
- Dec. 4, 2004: A 15th-ranked Tennessee team is beaten 38-28 by a third-ranked Auburn team in the SEC Championship Game.
- Dec. 1, 2007: A 14th-ranked Tennessee team is beaten 21-14 by a fifth-ranked LSU team in the SEC Championship Game.
All of the above would boost Virginia Tech's confidence heading into Thursday night's Chick fil-A Bowl except for one thing: The Hokies have no fond memories of Atlanta, either, having suffered two of their three 2009 losses there.