Six Vols detained by police

Six University of Tennessee football players were detained by police in connection with an altercation at a campus-area bar in the wee hours of Friday morning. At least two face criminal charges.

According to reports provided to by the UT Police Department, sophomore safety Darren Myles is charged with assault, resisting a stop and fleeing/evading arrest. Da' Rick Rogers, an incoming freshman receiver considered to be the jewel of Tennessee's 2010 signing class, is charged with resisting arrest and fleeing. Both are free on bond.

Assault charges against Matt Milton, a freshman receiver who enrolled last January and participated in spring practice, are pending.

Two other Vols were detained and listed as suspects. They are senior receiver Denarius Moore and incoming junior college transfer John Brown, a defensive tackle. Also held in connection with the alleged assault was Jerran Talley, a non-UT student from Athens, Tenn.

Montori Hughes, a sophomore defensive tackle, was questioned. Whether he is a suspect in the incident is not clear at this time.

Eye witnesses say a fight broke out at approximately 1:50 this morning at Bar Knoxville, located at 1820 Cumberland Avenue near campus. Although bar employees got the combatants removed from the establishment, the brawl continued on the sidewalk.

Off-duty police officer Robert Capouellez and an as-yet-unidentified bar patron sustained injuries and were taken to UT Medical Center for treatment. Capouellez, who reportedly was trying to break up the altercation, was knocked down and kicked. He was unconscious and lying in the street when police arrived.

According to an arrest report filed by UT police officer Brian Greenlee, he showed up at the bar at around 2:04 a.m. in response to a call for "an officer needing assistance."

Greenlee's report says he was directed to the side of the building, where a group of males "supposedly assaulted an off duty Knoxville police department officer." When Greenlee identified himself as a police officer and ordered the group to stop, Myles allegedly tried to leave the scene.

"Mr. Myles fled from me on foot southbound towards Lake Avenue," Greenlee's report states. "After a foot chase, during which Myles struck me with his elbow under my left eye, he was taken into custody and charged with assault, resisting a stop and fleeing/evading arrest."

A supplemental report filed by Greenlee says the injury to his eye occurred while he was trying to subdue Myles.

"When I made contact with Mr. Myles I ordered him to stop and I attempted to place a restraint hold on him to take him to a prone handcuffing position," the report says. "Mr. Myles continued to resist me slipping out of my grasp and he struck me with his elbow just under my left eye and proceeded to flee from me on foot ..."

A report filed by police officer Christopher McCann says he and a "Sergeant J. Keck" of the Knoxville Police Department found Myles "hiding under" a white BMW. Instructed to come out from under the car, Myles reportedly "fled on foot eastbound on Lake Avenue."

According to the report, Myles eventually was found "hiding in some bushes next to Henson Hall and was taken into custody without further incident ..."

Head football coach Derek Dooley was out of town at the time of the incident and has not yet released a statement.

Inside Tennessee Top Stories