Late FG Lifts 'Runners, 16-13

Key injuries, inconsistent offenses, 14 penalties combined, along with 9 fumbles and 2 interceptions, made Saturday's win for UTSA taste that much sweeter at the sound of the final gun.

Tied 13 all with 1:54 to go in the 4th quarter, UTSA would kickoff and FIU's Glenn Coleman would run it out. As he would hit the 24 yard line, back-up defensive back Duke Wheeler, stripped him of the ball and recovered it himself to put UTSA in position for the win.

UTSA would run three plays and get to the 22 yard line, leaving Sean Ianno with a 39 yard field goal. Ianno would split the uprights and the UTSA sideline and Alamodome would erupt. On his leg, the 'Runners would go up 16-13 with :50 seconds left and hang on for the win as Triston Wade would intercept a hail mary pass to end the game. Ianno finished the night 3 for 3 on field goals with his long coming from 42 yards out.

Red shirt freshman Austin Robinson would be pressed early into action as true freshman Blake Bogenschutz would go down near the end of the 1st quarter with an apparent hand/wrist injury. Bogenschutz could be seen icing down his right hand on the sideline.

On the evening Robinson would finish 14 of 17 for 144 yards, and rush for another 64. As the game went on, it was apparent that Robinson's confidence was growing as he seemed to get more and more comfortable with the system. His legs were an extra dimension that FIU was not prepared for.

UTSA finished with 317 total yards of offense, but with 8 penalties and 3 lost fumbles, the offense once again struggled to find any consistency. Early on in the 1st frame, Bogenschutz would throw a simple swing pass to running back Jarveon Williams, after turning on the jets, he would find the end zone for a 55 yard score. Only to be called back for an illegal formation penalty.

Florida International would go up on UTSA, 13-10, turning a Brandon Armstrong fumble into three points, at the 11:03 mark of the 4th quarter. Two possessions later, Robinson would lead the 'Runners on a 7 play, 37 yard drive to set up the tying 27 yard field goal. On the drive, Robinson would connect with Armstrong for 27 yards down the UTSA sideline, and then follow it up by scrambling for 13 more yards on the next play.

In all, the 'Runners used a gritty, resilient effort that was just enough to overcome 8 penalties, 3 lost fumbles, and playing with their third string quarterback.

The "Hard Hat Defense" held FIU to 259 total yards of offense and forced 6 fumbles, 3 of which were recovered. Safeties Michael Egwuagu and Triston Wade both came away with picks, making the final tally, 5 turnovers on the night.

Defensive end Robert Singletary had a monster game terrorizing the FIU quarterback all night. He finished with 3 sacks, 10 total tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, 2 forced fumbles and 1 pass break-up. He led a tremendous effort by the defense, and would help keep UTSA alive, when the offense was struggling to find yards and points. Triston Wade would add 11 stops, 1 INT, and 1 FF as he and Singletary would lead the defense on the night.

With the win, UTSA is now 2-4 on the season, 1-1 in C-USA play. The 'Runners now travel to Ruston to face Louisiana Tech in an 11 a.m. kickoff, set for next Saturday. The game can be seen regionally, on the FOX Sports Networks.

Talk about our game recap in the RunnerNation Forum

Inside Runner Sports Top Stories