UTSA Head Coach Larry Coker welcomed the entire 105-man roster on Sunday as players officially checked in to fall camp the day before practices are set to begin. Here is our interview with Coach Coker:
What’s the feel going into fall camp?
“We’re very excited. We’ve got a group of young guys coming in. It’s kind of a reboot. We’ve got some young guys coming in. We lost some guys. I like our talent and I like our coaching staff. We’ve got a lot of work to do, we’re a work in progress, but I like where we are.”
Is the QB position going to be an ongoing competition?
“They’re all going to be ongoing competitions. That’s where you start out. Who knows, as we go into the process, who’s going to be the guy. I like all of those guys. I think with Russell (Bellomy) coming, is going to add to the competition. He’s a veteran player. He’s got one year left. I’m excited about our competition at quarterback.”
Is this season almost like a fresh start?
“That’s one of the exciting things as coaches coming in, it is a fresh start. Guys are trying to prove themselves. Guys are trying to earn positions. Guys are trying to earn playing time. There’s no entitlement this year. We’ve got to earn everything we can get.”
What’s the message to the team?
“Work. The main thing I’m going to stress to them is that let’s put everything behind us other than football. You can only have so much going on at one time. I want it to be all focused on football. Let’s see how good we can be.”
How much impact will the new football locker room have?
“It’s going to be so much better for the players. Lynn (Hickey) has done a great job really helping us progress. It’s another huge step for us. It’s very, very nice. It’s a temporary stop-gap until we get to Park West. I think it’ll have a huge impact.”
What can you say about the non-conference schedule?
“It’s going to be a grind. It’s going to be tough, maybe as tough as anyone in the country. It’s going to be a very tough schedule, something we have to play. We’ve got some of those games at home. It’s going to be an exciting challenge for us. What we’re going to do is hopefully work through that thing, win all of those games if we can, but compete and get better.”
- All 105 players on the roster checked in Sunday. The team roster posted shows a handful of additional players. Those players are not officially on the roster until the start of school and will only be so it something happens to a player on the official roster.
- Starting QB Blake Bogenschutz was one of the first players to check-in showing up at approximately 10am. As a result, Bogenschutz was not made available to media on Sunday.
- Many players characterized unofficially offseason workouts as a closely contested battle between Blake Bogenschutz and Russell Bellomy. TE David Morgan said the two were really similar calling both of them “students of the game.”
QB Austin Robinson spoke with media on Sunday saying he too was ready for the competition saying he’s improved vastly in the offseason.
- Former SMU WR JaBryce Taylor drew the praise of a half of dozen teammates for his playmaking abilities in offseason workouts. Safety Mauricio Sanchez said that Taylor had some of the strongest hands he’s seen on a WR. QB Austin Robinson re-iterated that adding that he’s formed a connect with Taylor.
- UTSA first fall practice will be Monday morning. The Roadrunners will practice in shells with limited media availability. UTSA’s first day in pads is expected to be on Friday.
Coker Previews Fall Camp
Inside Runner Sports Top Stories
Daniels Commits to UTSAA few days after taking his official visit, 3-star RB BJ Daniels has decided to commit to UTSA.
Inside Runner SportsWednesday at 6:30 PM
3-Star RB Recaps VisitThree-star RB BJ Daniels took an official visit to UTSA over the weekend. He talks about the visit.
Inside Runner SportsMonday at 2:10 PM
Woolen Firm With UTSARoadrunners’ WR Commit Tariq Woolen visited Baylor over the weekend but remains firmly committed to UTSA.
Inside Runner SportsMonday at 11:15 AM
UTSA Recruiting Weekend RecapUTSA Football hosted 10 recruits this weekend. InsideRunnerSports provides a recap of the weekend activities.
Inside Runner SportsMonday at 10:35 AM