Sophomore walk-on QB Dalton Sturm will get another start for UTSA this Saturday and will likely be the team’s starter for the foreseeable future, Head Coach Larry Coker said Monday.
At his weekly round table with local media, Coker was asked if the team is preparing for Bogenschutz to return.
Coker replied: “We’re preparing like he’s not coming back. We don’t want to sit here on pins and needles thinking he’ll be back. We’re going to go ahead and prepare like he’s not coming back. If he does (come back), that’s a bonus.”
Bogenschutz has not played since suffering a concussion in UTSA’s Oct 3 game at UTEP. Last week, Offensive Coordinator and QB’s Coach Kevin Brown said that Bogenschutz was suffering from post-concussion headaches and that the severity and frequency of the headaches have decreased. While Brown did say he anticipated Bogenschutz to return, he did say there was no timetable.
Meanwhile, Bogenschtuz did travel to North Texas this past weekend. This is the first road game he has travelled to since his concussion. He assisted the QB unit during warmups but he was not dressed out as he stood on the sidelines during the game.
Sturm, who made was just making his third-career start this past weekend, threw for 245 yards on 27 for 41 passing with 1 touchdown vs North Texas. He rushed for another 73 yards.
“He took a huge step,” Coker said of Sturm. “He was relaxed and poised. It was a big, big difference. He deserves it.”
Sturm, who is still a walk-on, is in his second season at UTSA. Saturday’s game vs Old Dominion will be his fourth-career start and just his second at home.