(Photo/Graphic by UTSA)
NOTES FROM UTSA FOOTBALL'S 2016 SPRING PROSPECTUS:
ROSTER NUMBERS: UTSA’s roster is currently at 89 players. The makeup is as follows: 16 seniors, 32 juniors, 20 sophomores, and 21 freshmen. UTSA returns 14 starters (7 offense, 5 defense, 2 special teams).
RETURNING OFFENSIVE STARTERS: The offensive returning starters are: QB Dalton Sturm, RB Jarveon Williams, WR Kerry Thomas, WR JaBryce Taylor, C Juan Perez-Isidoro, OG Kyle McKinney, and OT Reed Darragh.
RETURNING DEFENSIVE STARTERS: The defensive returning starters are: DT Kevin Strong, DE Marcus Davenport, LB Marcos Curry, S Michael Egwuagu, and S Nate Gaines.
RETURNING SPECIAL TEAMS STARTERS: The special teams returning starters are: PK Daniel Portillo and P Yannis Roustas.
ROSTER LOCATION MAKEUP: The 89 players come from 11 different states: Texas (70), California (5), Florida (3), Kansas (2), Mississippi (2), Oklahoma (2), Georgia (1), Illinois (1), Louisiana (1), Missouri (1), and Virginia (1).
NO DEPTH CHART: No Depth Chart is included in the prospectus. Per UTSA, one will not be provided prior to the beginning of practices.
OFFENSIVE SCHEME: The Offensive Formation is listed as multiple.
DEFENSIVE SCHEME: The Defensive Formation is listed as 4-2-5.
GA's TBA: Giovanni Vizza is the only Graduate Assistant listed as one of the offensive GA’s. There are three other GA positions (1 offense, 2 defense) TBA.
ATTRITION: The following scholarship players who were listed on last season’s roster are no longer listed on the current roster: RB Brian Vaughn, TE Triston Crossland, OL Shane Block, DL Joseph Brooks.The following walk-on players who were listed on last season's roster are no longer listed on the current roster: WR Devin Crayton, OL Brent Swanson, S Gage Hadlock, and DL John Paul Davila. Per UTSA, all eight players have left the program.
Team Notes from UTSA:
- UTSA hired Frank Wilson as its new head coach on Jan. 15, 2016. Wilson comes to the Alamo City following a successful six-year run (2010-15) as LSU’s assistant head coach/running backs coach and recruiting coordinator.
- The Roadrunners return four All-Conference USA honorees from a year ago — Marcus Davenport (Jr., DE), Michael Egwuagu (Sr., S), Kerry Thomas Jr. (Jr., WR) and Jarveon Williams (Sr., RB). All four earned honorable mention accolades from the league’s head coaches.
- Senior RB Jarveon Williams became the first 1,000-yard rusher in program history last fall. Williams ran for 1,042 yards and eight touchdowns on 173 carries (6.0 avg.) in his 11 games of action, which was an average of 94.7 yards per contest.
- Junior WR Kerry Thomas, UTSA’s leading receiver from a year ago, is coming off a sophomore campaign that saw him catch a school-record 52 passes for 541 yards and four touchdowns.
- The Roadrunners welcome back three of their top five tacklers from the 2015 season. Junior S Nate Gaines (76), junior LB Marcos Curry (74) and senior S Michael Egwuagu (62) ranked third through fifth, respectively, last fall.
You can view the complete prospectus by clicking here: LINK