By JJ Perez
UTSA signs their eighth recruiting class in program history Wednesday. Here is an overview of all of the expected signees (subject to change until UTSA’s official release is provided)
- QB Frank Harris (3-stars) 6’1”/176lbs Clemens HS (TX) - FILM
- QB Bryce Rivers (2-stars) 6’3”/202lbs Stevens HS (TX) - FILM
Analysis: The ‘Runners landed two quality signal callers in QB’s Frank Harris and Bryce Rivers. Each has skills that compliment each other. Harris is a dynamic dual-threat talent while Rivers flourishes in the pocket as a pro-style QB. Harris is coming off of a knee injury but is expected to be cleared by the summer. Rivers graduated high school early and is already enrolled at UTSA. He will participate in spring practices next month.
OFFENSIVE LINE (4)
- OT Kevin Davis (2-stars) 6’3”/284lbs Angleton HS (TX) - FILM
- OT Dominic Pastucci (2-stars) 6’5”/275lbs Hendrickson HS (TX) - FILM
- OT Josh Dunlop (2-stars) 6’7”/300lbs Dodge City JC (KS) - FILM
- OT Keeyon Smart (2-stars) 6’5”/205lbs Kilgore JC (TX) - FILM
Analysis: It could be argued that each one of these offensive linemen are 3-star recruits. The late commitment of Kevin Davis really shored up the group. Davis, Pastucci, and Smart could easily be cornerstones of the o-line for years to come. The most important addition of this group, however, is the signing Juco Josh Dunlop, who is already on campus. Dunlop will work with the team during spring practices and should be inline for playing time next fall.
RUNNING BACKS (1)
- RB B.J. Daniels (3-stars) 6’2”/208lbs Palm Bay HS (FL) - FILM
Analysis: Daniels could end up being the best recruit UTSA has ever landed. A dynamic back, he comes in as one of the more heralded recruits in this class. Daniels turned down multiple P5 offers to come to UTSA. It’s not an overstatement to think that Daniels could become the heir apparent at the RB position for years to come. LB commit Demarco Guidry is also in the mix to play the RB position for the ‘Runners.
WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS (5)
- WR Tariq Woolen (3-stars) 6’5”/205lbs Arlington Heights HS (TX) - FILM
- TE Robert Ursua Robert Ursua (2-stars) 6’3”/230lbs Palomar JC (CA) - FILM
- TE Michael Goff (2-stars) 6’3”/230lbs Johnson HS (TX) - FILM
- TE Chance McLeod (3-stars) 6’4”/230lbs Victoria East HS (TX) - FILM
- WR Dadrian Taylor (2-stars) 6’1”/163lbs Shiner HS (TX) - FILM
Analysis: Two WRs and three TEs is a quality mix for the ‘Runners. Woolen and Taylor bring speed and talent to the roster at WR. McLeod and Goff have tremendous upside at the TE position. And Juco Robert Ursua should be able to come in this spring and compete for immediate playing time.
DEFENSIVE LINE (3)
- DT Jaylon Haynes (2-stars) 6’1”/290lbs Wharton HS (TX) - FILM
- DT Morris Joseph Jr. Morris Joseph (3-stars) 6’1”/270lbs West Orange-Stark HS (TX) - FILM
- DE Robert Fuentes (2-stars) 6’1”/270lbs Southwest HS (TX) - FILM
Analysis: Quality defensive lines are where recruiting battles can turn into wins in the season. UTSA’s haul at d-line adds quality depth to a position that was already deep. Morris Joseph has the ability to anchor the entire line wile Jaylon Haynes and Robert Fuentes may go down as two of the biggest under-the-radar steals.
- LB Donovan Perkins (2-stars) 6’0”/225lbs Zachary HS (LA) - FILM
- LB/RB Demarco Guidry (2-stars) 6’1”/210lbs La Marque HS (TX) - FILM
Analysis: UTSA didn’t have a big need to a high number of LBs but what they got compliments what they have. Both Perkins and Guidry have played running back and that athleticism shows. It will be interesting to see where Guidry lands as he was recruited at both LB and RB while it looks like Perkins is a natural to eventually play at the Will LB position.
DEFENSIVE BACKS (6)
- CB Sam Barnes (3-stars) 6’1”/194lbs George Ranch HS (TX) - FILM
- CB Vance Vallair (2-stars) 6’2”/178lbs Central HS (TX) - FILM
- CB Javontavius Mosley (3-stars) 6’1”/164lbs John Tyler HS (TX) - FILM
- S Tay'lor Perry (3-stars) 5’9”/160lbs Crosby HS (TX) - FILM
- S J.J. Smith (3-stars) 6’2”/195lbs MS Gulf Coast JC (MS) - SIGNED & NOT ON CAMPUS
- CB Michael Moore (2-stars) 6’3”/180lbs Palomar JC (CA) - SIGNED & NOT ON CAMPUS
Analysis: Size, speed, and technique. That’s what UTSA landed in their haul of defensive back signees. Top rated CB Sam Barnes has the talent to become a shut-down corner. Javontavius Mosley has the physique to be a quality D1 CB while Vance Vallair and Tay’lor Perry are as scrappy as the come. Previous Juco signees JJ Smith and Michael Moore are not listed as part of the signing class.