* The Red Raiders were able to hang on and beat Northern Illinois 8-5 improving to 5-1 overall on the season
* Game Attendance: 2, 685 – highest of the season
* This marks the first time that Tech has won the first two games of the Brooks Wallace Memorial Classic in the tournaments three-year history
* Red Raiders improve to 12-2 all-time against Northern Illinois and 10-2 when playing in Lubbock
* Tech's pitching staff recorded 13 strikeouts combined, and Coulombe had eight of those, of which seven came in a row. The 13 strikeouts is the most since February 25, 2011 when Tech had 14 against BYU
* Barnes led the way for the Red Raiders going 2-for-4 in the game with two RBIs and two runs. Barnes is now leading the team batting .435 on the season with nine RBIs and a slugging percentage of .783%
* Marked the sixth straight game a starter has gone at least five innings and it is the first time since 1999 that that has happened
* Red Raiders are back in action on Sunday in a doubleheader against St. John's at 1 p.m. and Northern Illinois at 5 p.m.
Barnes Hits Milestone
* Barrett Barnes went 2-for-4 in the game with two RBIs and with those two RBIs Barnes has now recorded 100 RBIs in his career at Tech. Barnes did it in 120 games, which makes him the seventh fastest player in the past decade to reach that accomplishment.
"I actually didn't know about it actually until (Scott) Lacefield told me about it," Barnes said. "I'm really thankful for that, thankful for the opportunity and I'm just really grateful."
Coulombe Notches Big Win
* Daniel Coulumbe had another quality start, his second since having Tommy John surgery, and notched his first win since high school. Coulombe went 5.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 8 K, 3 BB.
"It's been about four years now, but it's just exciting," Coulombe said. "I'm just happy our team could win tonight."
Now on the season overall has made two appearances and has gone 10.1 innings recording a 3.48 ERA while striking out 13 and walking just four and giving up nine hits and six runs of which four are earned.
"Daniel's got great stuff, as you saw when he got rolling he started striking everybody out " Spencer said. "Very good start for him and he was on a week's short of rest, but now he's on schedule. He'll get a full week and be ready to go on Saturday, and he gets a little stronger and goes a little farther every time, so those are good things for us."
Texas Tech Quotes
Dan Spencer – Tech Head Coach
On winning despite the Sloppy play
"Yeah, no we'll take the result," Spencer said. "We were a little sloppy obviously in the four-run inning, the lethal combination of walking a couple of guys and kicking a couple of balls hurt us in the middle there. And it's frustrating because we warned them before hand, that Northern Illinois will hang around … You just can't take anything for granted with whoever you're playing."
On getting the win
"Opportunity to win and we won," Spencer said. "So we need to address the fact that we were sloppy and we did, and we also need to address the fact that good teams can survive that and find a way to win – and we did that."
Daniel Coulombe – #35 LHP
On his start
"I thought I started out pretty good, and then a little chilly out, a little windy," Coulombe said. "After a couple long innings of being on offense, after that I got a little tired, but we won the game, that's all that's matters."
On his string of strikeouts
"I had a string of strikeouts, I didn't even know," Coulombe said while chuckling. "It's just I get in a groove spotting my fastball and throwing my curveball, that's it."
On his second start since his surgery
"Yeah, it definitely was," Coulombe, said. "I felt great today, felt strong even though I was on short rest. I'm just excited for next week."
Barrett Barnes - #8 Outfielder
On the win
"Yeah it was big for us," Barnes said. "So we got good starting pitching again, which is the key to everything, and we played good defense. Then (Jared) McCrummen came in and threw strikes, (John) Neely came in and finished it off.
"We just played good baseball today, that's how you come out and win ball games."
Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
Northern Illinois 0 0 0 0 1 4 0 0 0 5 6 2
Texas Tech 0 4 0 3 0 0 0 1 X 8 8 2
WP: Coulombe (1-0)
LP: Hermsen (0-2)
SV: Neely (1)