Tech 34, KU 21: Quarter-By-Quarter Breakdown

The Red Raiders defeated the Jayhawks, 34-21, in a game which Davis Webb completed 28 of 44 passes for 288 yards and three touchdowns; DeAndre Washington set a new career mark with 164 yards on 23 carries; and three different Tech receivers scored a touchdown.

To start off the game, Texas Tech came out with a five-play, 58 yard drive which lasted 2:07 - culminating in a Ryan Bustin field goal. The Jayhawks responded with a short-lived drive of their own, one that had a return by Cameron Batson called back after a penalty on the Red Raiders.

At the 10-minute mark, Kansas marched to the Tech 34 and was stuffed on fourth down. The Red Raiders finally got their touchdown with 2:39 in the quarter, with Davis Webb catching Reginald Davis for a 13-yard play; it capped a 12-play, 66 yard drive lasting 3:13.

Two fantastic catches from Kansas’ Nigel King and Nick Harwell brought the Jayhawks to the Red Raider 22-yard line, but it would all be for naught as KU settled for a 37-yard field goal – and missed it – with 28 seconds left.

Justin Stockton and Deandre Washington broke off some big runs to close the quarter.

The Red Raiders started the second quarter at the 40, but a dropped pass on third down ended the drive without a whimper. Although the ball dropped at the one-yard line, Tech was flagged a third time for illegal formation.

At the nine-minute mark, Davis Webb zipped a pass to Brad Marquez on third down, getting the ball to the Kansas 49. Webb connected with the senior receiver for eight yards to push the score 17-0. The drive took three minutes flat – 10 plays, 90 yards. With the score, the Red Raiders had their biggest lead yet.

A few minutes later, Tech marched the ball down to the Kansas 31-yard line. With 3:23 left in the half, Webb completed a pass to Jakeem Grant, who was hit hard and immediately fell down in pain, grabbing his leg in the process. Grant was helped off the field by training staff. Webb promptly threw an interception on the next play.

Kansas scored a touchdown by Justin McCay at the 30-second mark to help pull the game within 10, 17-7.

After receiving the ball to kick off the second half, Kansas was stuffed back at their own 22 and had to punt. The ball shanked right and went out of bounds at the Kansas 45. Tech marched to the 21 yard line and converted a field goal to push the lead to 20-7 with 11:11 in the quarter.

J.J. Gaines then picked off Kansas’ Michael Cummings with 10:34 in the quarter. The ensuing drive resulted in Webb getting sacked and fumbling the football, resulting in a recovery by Kansas’ Victor Simmons. The Jayhawks then scored on a 21-yard touchdown pass from Cummings to tight end Jimmay Mundine with 8:34 in the quarter.

DeAndre Washington went over the 100-yard mark on his 10th carry around the eight-minute mark. Davis Webb completed the drive with a pass to freshman Ian Sadler, which pushed the Red Raider lead to 27-14 at the five-minute mark. Sadler notched his first-ever score as a Tech player on the drive.

Kansas scored at the end of the quarter off a Cummings 1-yard rush. The Jayhawks didn’t run the ball as frequently as expected, with only 96 yards on the ground, compared to Tech’s 133.

With 13:21 in the fourth, Justin Stockton scored his fourth touchdown of the season off a 21-yard rush to push Tech’s lead to 34-21, capping off a six-play, 72-yard drive which lasted 1:42. Kansas continued to struggle on offense, and fumbled on a play at the 10-minute mark. Tech went three-and-out and punted back to them with eight minutes remaining. The next Jayhawk drive resulted in a three-and-out themselves, with the freshman returner Cameron Batson being downed at the 8.

Tech simply iced the game with a series of run plays, and the Jones AT&T Stadium faithful walked out feeling satisfied.

Raider Power Top Stories