Another Great Comeback Win for Tech, 31-30

The Red Raiders squeaked out a win over the Jayhawks with less than three minutes remaining in the game, adding another great comeback to their repertoire. Texas Tech running back Taurean Henderson's 70-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter tied the game, and Alex Trlica's extra-point kick put the Red Raiders ahead by one for the win.

The run was the longest offensive play of the season for Texas Tech.

The Red Raider offense totaled 538 yards for the day, including a season high 182 yards rushing and five turnovers. Henderson had 17 carries for 169 yards and two touchdowns. Quarterback Sonny Cumbie threw 28 completions for 356 yards, two touchdowns and four interceptions.

Inside receiver Trey Haverty had a big game with eight catches for 143 yards and a 32-yard touchdown catch before the half. Receiver Jarrett Hicks had his fourth straight 100-yard game adding eight catches for 131 yards and a 27-yard touchdown reception at the end of the third to put Texas Tech within six points of the Jayhawks.

The game started off with five consecutive Cumbie completions, one to each of his five main offensive targets. The remainder of the quarter was far from normal, plagued by flukes and two Red Raider turnovers. Kansas gave Texas Tech its first two points with a bad punt snap that dribbled into the end zone for a safety.

An intercepted pass intended for inside receiver Trey Haverty was the first of three deflected Cumbie passes. Following the turnover, the Jayhawk offense answered the blitz with a screen to the opposite side, giving running back John Randle an open lane into the end zone for his first touchdown of the game. His second came with 2:48 remaining in the first quarter to put Kansas up 14-2 after the extra point kick.

Trlica's 34-yard kick gave Texas Tech three more at the end of the quarter to put the Red Raiders down by nine.

Another Cumbie pass deflected at the line of scrimmage was intercepted for the third turnover of the game. The Red Raider defense held the Jayhawks during the next possession, but a fumbled Amendola punt return gave Kansas the ball near the red zone.

Jayhawk kicker Scott Webb added three on a 22-yard attempt, putting Kansas up 17-5.

A Kansas reverse throw into the end zone with 2:37 remaining in the half put the Jayhawks up 24-5.

The Jayhawk's defense was successful in keeping Red Raider punt return yards to a minimum and punter Alex Reyes had a slow day in the punt department.

Cumbie's third interception of the game was another deflected pass at the line of scrimmage, setting Kansas up for a Charles Gordon touchdown putting 30 points on the board. Kansas failed to execute the two-point conversion, leaving the score at 30-5 with :48 remaining in the half.

The Red Raiders answered with an 80-yard drive in three plays, finishing the half with Haverty's 32-yard touchdown catch.

Texas Tech came out strong in the third quarter with a Chad Johnson interception setting up a Henderson touchdown run followed by Trlica's extra-point kick. With the score at 30-18, the Jayhawks were unsuccessful on the ground against the Red Raider defense.

Cumbie connected with Hicks on a perfect 27-yard pass late in the third to make the score 30-24, but Tech failed to add the extra point following a bad snap.

The Red Raider defense started the fourth quarter with a Naziruddin and Dawson quarterback sack, and Kansas kicker Webb missed the field goal attempt. Webb added another bad kick on a 43-yard attempt a few drives later to set the Red Raiders up for their comeback.

Henderson's 70-yard touchdown run came on a third and six, and was the running back's sixth touchdown run of the season.

With 2:37 remaining, the Red Raider defense finished off the Jayhawks with interceptions by both Jabari Smith and Dwayne Slay during the last two Kansas possessions.

Texas Tech (3-1) has its fourth road game of the season next Saturday as they travel to Oklahoma.

Raider Power Top Stories