• Texas Tech Head Coach Mike Leach went double or nothing against his players today and lost. After kickers Donnie "Mexico" Carona and Cory Fowler missed their field goals to end the practice, Leach offered his players a deal. They could either run 4 50 yard sprints, or let Carona attempt his kick again. After debate, the players agreed to the deal and were rewarded as Carona kicked the ball straight through the uprights.
• Brandon Sesay continues to practice as both a defensive tackle and defensive end. Sesay's attitude continues to improve, and he looks to be putting himself into position to see the field early this season.
• Baron Batch hurt himself in the race to be the starting running back today as he not only fumbled but also dropped a wide open pass in the end zone during the pass-skeleton drills.
• Marcus Bunton spent his time working between the scout team and the starters, though he has been supplanted as the front-runner to start the season at right cornerback by either Brent Nickerson or LaRon Moore. Nickerson looked extremely good today and his intelligence and quickness make him an intriguing prospect while L.A. Reed is recovering from his injury.
• Chris Perry had a tough day and looked slow, almost lethargic, during today's practice.
• Sandy Riley seems to have firmly entrenched himself as the back-up at right defensive end. Daniel Howard plays that position when Riley moves to left defensive end and Brandon Sesay to defensive tackle.
• Darcel McBath had what appeared to be a very serious injury during practice today, though it turned out that he needed only a few moments to recover after finding a helmet in a very sensitive place.
• Jonathon Lacour continues to punt well, and he is also turning into a talented holder for Donnie Carona.
• De'Shon Sanders was working at left cornerback behind Jamar Wall as Brent Nickerson slid over to right corner.
• Jordy Rowland was in good position to intercept a pass intended for Adrian Reese, though Reese out-fought him for position and ended up catching the ball and scoring.
Offensive player of the day: Edward Britton
Catch of the day: Jamar Wall's interception.
Defensive player of the day: Jamar Wall
Defensive play of the day: Brent Nickerson's strong play during practice today.
Quote of the day: "I'm trying to be a kinder and gentler Ruff… You saw what I did with the kicker. He can kick the ball to Shallowater." Defensive Coordinator Ruffin McNeil after talking to kicker Donnie Carona, who had just missed a field goal.