• Seth Doege seems to have the opportunity to lock-up the second string quarterback position, though Texas Tech coach Mike Leach typically goes for the more experienced player which would point to Stephen Sheffield.
• Speaking of Terry McDaniel, he continues to improve at left tackle. Offensive line coach Matt Moore may be considering putting him at left tackle with the starters, permanently.
• Brandon Sesay was not at practice. No comment was available from the Texas Tech coaching staff or media relations department.
• Brandon Sharpe was out of practice today, apparently nursing a fairly minor injury.
• The injury that Alexander Torres suffered (alluded to on Monday) appears to have been much more serious than originally thought. He entire chin was covered with a serious bandage and he was held out of all contact during today's practice.
• Adrian Reese continues to impress playing wide receiver, though he struggles at times with allowing the ball to get into his chest and shoulder pads.
• Mickey Okafor had a strong day of practice and works very well with right tackle Marlon Winn. Winn has become the unofficial enforcer for the offensive line, always being one of the first to help up a teammate and the most vicious of the linemen on screens and draws.
• Richard Jones and Colby Whitlock were the first team defensive tackles while Victor Hunter and Britton Barbee were the second teamers. Chris Perry participated in early portions of practice but he still seems to be suffering from a minor injury.
• Special teams coach Eric Russell should be called a special teams coordinator, he knows every facet of the game so completely. He also played line judge during today's practice.
• Blake Collier had a strong day of practice as did Daniel Howard. Howard lacks the size to play as a hand down defensive end every play, but he plays the joker-back position brilliantly.
• Cornelius Douglas and Harrison Jeffers had the best days of both the freshmen and the entire offense. Douglas showed great speed while Harrison Jeffers scored a 40 yard touchdown on the ground, forcing defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeil to have his defense do up-downs until he was tired.
Offensive player of the day: Harrison Jeffers
Catch of the day: Jacoby Franks with a brilliant catch during 1-on-1 drills.
Defensive player of the day: N/A
Defensive play of the day: Sam Fehoko with a bone-crushing tackle on Baron Batch as Batch crossed the line of scrimmage during the team session in practice today.
Quote of the day:
"And we will have Bird and Collier roll him into the offensive line…"
"Like a big bowling ball!"
-Head coach Mike Leach and linebacker Bront Bird.