• Texas Tech freshman running back Eric Stephens stole the show tonight as he broke what looked to be a short gain on a screen into a touchdown during the team portion of drills. This is, without a doubt, the first time that a player has received a standing ovation during a practice.
• Stephen Sheffield may have finally completely taken hold of the back-up quarterbacks spot. Sheffield had crisp passes and good, not great, pocket presence.
• Colby Whitlock intercepted a screen pass and returned it for a touchdown during the early portions of team practice. Whitlock's interception helped energize a relatively lethargic defense.
• Marlon Williams was very violent at the point of attack during tonight's practice, including a brilliant tackle of Eric Stephens.
• The offense and the defense were both about equal during practice tonight, each doing well and struggling in their own right.
• E.J. Celestie set out the day of practice as far as contact is concerned. Baron Batch was allowed to work with some of the receiving drills, though he did not participate in any of the contact drills.
• Aaron Crawford also continued to work with a blue jersey on.
• Bront Bird was particularly adept at blitzing during tonight's practice. It appears that Bird seems to have managed to put his mental difficulties behind him.
Offensive player of the day: Eric Stephens
Defensive player of the day: Franklin Mitchem