Red Raiders bounce back, beat Kansas 42-21

After being upset last week by Texas A&M, the Red Raiders were looking for a measure of redemption against Kansas. They found it in Ruffin McNeill's reinvigorated defense and junior running back Baron Batch, who led Texas Tech to a 42-21 victory.

For the first time in his tenure, head coach Mike Leach started a redshirt freshman in Seth Doege.

With Doege at the helm, the offense had continued to struggle as it had the previous week against the Aggies. He fumbled twice in the first half, leading to all 14 of Kansas' points.

The Texas Tech offense was able to score 14 points in the first half as well, with the first touchdown coming off a 61 yard pass from Doege to Detron Lewis.

The second score came off a fumble recovery by Richard Jones on the 6 yard line. Baron Batch ran it in from the 2 yard line, giving Tech a 14-7 lead with 3:15 left in the second quarter.

The lead wouldn't last long, though, as Kansas recovered a Doege fumble with only 58 seconds left in the first half. Kansas punched it in from the 2 yard line to tie the game at 14-14.

In the second half, Leach reversed his decision and started his original starting quarterback for the season, Taylor Potts.

On Potts' first drive of the second half, a pass sailed high on him and was intercepted after deflecting off of Jacoby Franks' hands.

After a quick Kansas score, Tech was down 21-14 going into the fourth.

The fourth quarter, however, was a much different story for the Red Raiders. Junior running back Baron Batch took over the game, scoring three touchdowns and running all over the Jayhawk defense.

He finished with 17 rushes for 123 yards, 106 coming in the fourth quarter alone.

Defensively, the Red Raiders had a dominating game, only allowing 258 yards and recovering five Kansas turnovers.

Defensive linemen Brandon Sharpe and Ra'Jon Henley disrupted Kansas quarterback Todd Reesing's rhythm all afternoon, leading the charge for the Tech defense.

Attendance: 47,291

Inside the Red Raiders Top Stories