Smythe Talks USA Role

Head out to Team USA U-19 practice this week, and you aren't likely to find Texas commitment Durham Smythe in the same spot for two plays in a row.

"I'm actually doing a lot of things. It is kind of similar to what we do at our high school in Belton," Smythe said. "About 60 percent of the time I'm down in a stance. The other 40 percent, I'm either a split end or out wide. That's kind of what I'm doing here. It's still the Y position on the outside. So it's really not changing anything besides the formation."

Smythe has said in the past that Texas's tight end usage is similar to that on Belton's as well, and he agreed that the Team USA role would continue to prepare him well for his time with the Longhorns.

"That's kind of what Texas has been talking to me about, just being somebody who can stay on the field no matter what the formation is, somebody who can be down, and then flex out," Smythe said. "I feel really comfortable with it. That was one of the things that actually sold me was [Texas offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin's] plan to use me as a guy who can do a little bit of everything. M.J. [McFarland] can kind of do that too. But there are some guys there that kind of focus on one thing or the other."

Like for Team USA, Smythe's focus will be spread around to several roles, but it's one that he's sure he can handle.

"Coach Harsin wants me to be able to line up in the backfield as an H-back, line up wide, line up down, just kind of a mixture of things," Smythe said. "I'm used to it."

Horns Digest Top Stories