* Freshman LB Breckyn Hager, who left practice last Thursday with a knee injury, it turns out, had some scar tissue in his knee come loose, which is actually not a bad thing. He does not have torn meniscus. So look for Hager to start on special teams and possibly even get a few reps at MLB in a rotation with Malik Jefferson on Saturday.
On the depth chart Monday, Tim Cole is listed as Malik Jefferson's backup. Hager was not on the depth chart.
* Interesting quote from senior DE Shiro Davis on Monday when asked who he thinks could surprise for the Texas defense on Saturday:
"I'm interested in seeing how Malik (Jefferson) does, since he's a freshman," Davis said.
When asked why?
Davis said, "With every freshman, they're going to have that one play where they say, 'Oh crap. I messed up.' And I just want to see how he bounces back from that."
* Davis said junior DE Bryce Cottrell has pushed him to the max.
"He's definitely pushed me. He's made some huge strides, and it forced me to do the same."
* On Notre Dame's offensive line, Davis said:
"Seems like a typical offensive line - nothing too special about em. If they get their hands on you, you're done. So you can't let them get their hands on you."
* Shiro Davis, Poona Ford and Desmond Jackson all said they think Notre Dame is probably overlooking Texas and the strength of UT's D-line:
"Very possibly," Jackson said.
"Yes, based off of last year," Ford said.
Asked if the Texas defense can contain ND's running QB Malik Zaire, Jackson smiled and said, "We'll see Saturday."
Ford said DL coach Brick Haley has told the D-line Zaire "is a running back playing quarterback."
When asked for one word to describe the Texas defense, Tank Jackson said, "Hungry."