I caught up with a source in attendance at the Longhorns' closed practice Monday evening - fall camp practice No. 3, which featured players in shells (shoulder pads and helmets).
Here are a few notes I was able to pick up:
- Jerrod Heard, who quarterbacked Texas to an upset of Oklahoma and broke Vince Young's single-game total offense record with 527 yards vs Cal in 2015, worked primarily at wide receiver Monday, according to my source.
The source said Heard was still wearing a black QB jersey, but he was involved as a receiver in many drills, including one-on-ones, 7-on-7 and 11-on-11.
- My source said Heard made a few nice catches throughout practice. (Maybe the white gloves he was wearing at open practice Saturday and Sunday were an early sign of a position change ahead?)
My cohorts at HD - Jason Higdon and Chip Brown - have both reported, according to their sources, that Heard was likely to see time at receiver while continuing to serve as a backup quarterback to Shane Buechele and Tyrone Swoopes.
HD expects an announcement soon that Buechele will be the starting quarterback for Texas against Notre Dame on Sept. 4 with Swoopes continuing to operate the "18 Wheeler" package that helped Swoopes run for 12 touchdowns in 2015 with a 6.1 yards per carry average.
- Both QBs had a bunch of good reps, according to my source. And even though he wasn't "first" with the ones, Buechele continues to be ahead of Swoopes in operating the high-tempo offense of new offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert, the source said.
- My source said freshman WR Collin Johnson continues to impress and had one of the better catches in one-on-ones. He laid out for and caught a pass thrown by Swoopes against Kris Boyd that got some excitement flowing.
- According to my source, sophomore RB Kirk Johnson had a breakout run that "would have gone for a TD" in 11-on-11. He was greeted with a chest bump by his younger brother Collin.
- Freshman WR Davion Curtis had a few nice catches in 7-on-7.
- Freshman RB Kyle Porter got a decent amount of playing time Monday. He was running like a "man with a purpose" throughout practice, according to a source.
*****AGAIN, THIS IS THE TYPE OF EXCLUSIVE PREMIUM INSIDER INFORMATION HORNS DIGEST MEMBERS REGULARLY RECEIVE. ... SIGN UP TODAY AND GET 4 MONTHS FOR THE PRICE OF 1 - ONLY $4.95!! ... HURRY, OFFER ENDS SOON!!*****
BECOME AN HD INSIDER RIGHT NOW FOR THE 2016 SEASON!
1. Simply select the "1-Month Pass" option RIGHT HERE (no promo code required)! Offer ends Wednesday,
You'll be charged for one month - $4.95 - and then you won't be charged again until December! That's 4 months of HD for the price of 1!!!
2. Enjoy the 2016 football season as a member of HD’s attack-free message board community, where you are pulling up a bar stool among friends!
And, of course, enjoy unmatched insider information from Chip Brown, who has 25 years worth of connections covering Texas and is all over Big 12 realignment; Jason Higdon, the Yoda of Texas recruiting; and team and recruiting coverage from Taylor Estes!
You've heard about Horns Digest, the fastest-growing site on the Scout network. Now, it's time to experience it yourself!