After a tough loss on the road, Texas head coach Charlie Strong addressed the media Monday morning during the Longhorns' bye week.
Here are some notes from the coach had to say.
- Strong said the staff needs to do a better job coaching. He said he will be more involved with the defense moving forward.
- He told the staff they need to be more accountable for the team's struggles. The loss to Cal is on the staff and they understand that.
- Younger players will be used more in the future. Strong acknowledged they need to be playing more younger guys.
- True freshman Brandon Jones is a player who "needs to be on the field" because "he's a playmaker. ... He's earned the right to play."
- The defense can be fixed. Strong said he will be more involved and will get it fixed.
- When asked if he will call the defense, Strong said they have two weeks to look at it. And once they do that, they will go from there.
- Strong said Shane Buechele's demeanor makes everyone else around him so much better because he knows how to handle himself. "He knows how to go compete, he has an edge about him and the players see it. That's why the team follows him."
- Strong joked that Texas has turned the Buechele family into Longhorn fans now.
- The head coach met with the team yesterday morning after the flight landed from Cal. He told the team conference starts now and the goal is still in front of them, which is to win the conference. "Now it's up to us as a coaching staff to get them ready to play on the road."
- As a defensive minded coach, Strong said anytime the offense gets 30 points, he thinks the team should win the game. "We have talent and that should have never happened. We have to play much better."
- Strong said he isn't currently involved in telling the defensive staff what it needs to do, but he is in meetings and hears what the staff has to say to the unit.
- It's all about the staff "demanding things get done." Strong doesn't want the staff to say "Well I told them what to do it." When it is demanded, then he thinks the goals will be accomplished.
- "The defense will get fixed. Whatever I have to do to make it happen, it will get fixed."
- Buechele did not have any type of head injury against Cal. "He's good and he's healthy."
- LB Malik Jefferson had a stinger but is not injured at all.
- Jefferson can be moved around a lot because "he's effective wherever we put him." When you have a good player like that, people turn their attention to him, which allows guys like (Breckyn) Hager and (Malcolm) Roach to go after the quarterback.
- What impresses Strong about Buechele is his confidence. "You know when he walks out there he's going to play well."
- WR Devin Duvernay is good with the ball in his hands and can run away from people. "He's an unbelievable talent. He's got speed, athletic ability and can run away from people."
- Strong believes the offense handled its business against Cal, but he knows it can improve and get better. "It will be hard to slow down."
NOT A MEMBER OF THE HORNSDIGEST FAMILY?
Get the best UT recruiting and team coverage for just $4.17 per month!
1. Select the "Annual Pass" option RIGHT HERE.
2. Enjoy HD’s attack-free message board community, where you are pulling up a bar stool among friends, and, of course, unparalleled insider information from Chip Brown, who has 25 years worth of connections covering Texas and is all over Big 12 realignment; Jason Higdon, the Yoda of Texas recruiting; and team and recruiting coverage from Taylor Estes!
(Above video courtesy of TexasSports.com)null