4-Star WR Commit Justin Watkins
- Tom Herman landed his first commitment of the 2018 class in 4-star WR Justin Watkins. Watkins said he wants to stand out at his college and be a difference maker on offense, and that's what he feels Texas offers.
- Herman "went crazy" and "got hype" when he committed.
- His commitment was an easy decision before ever getting to Junior Day. He said it feels great to commit, and he's ready for a bunch of other guys to join him.
- Though he is going to visit other schools, Watkins said he is all-in with Texas.
- The current players talked up Herman and his staff, saying coming to Texas offers opportunities after their football careers are over thanks to the school's alumni network.
5-Star WR Brennan Eagles
- Brennan Eagles enjoyed his visit, which was his first trip to Texas since Tom Herman took over. Eagles has a prior relationship with Herman and his staff from their time at Houston. In fact, Eagles said Houston was the first program to offer him.
- Eagles enjoyed his time with Drew Mehringer. The duo have built a great relationship, and Mehringer's youth helps him relate to him.
- Eagles will most likely drop his top schools when he is at The Opening this summer.
4-Star S Atanza Vongor
- Texas is "definitely" going to play a factor in Atanza Vongor's decision. Vongor wants to make his commitment sometime within the next month.
- Vongor plans to put out his top list sometime next week.
- With the success Tom Herman had at Houston and Ohio State, Vongor is excited to see that translate to Texas.
- TCU is another program in the mix with Vongor. The safety most wants to be in a program where it feels like "family and feels like home." Vongor said he could feel at home at both TCU and Texas.
4-Star WR Leon O'Neal
- Texas is in Leon O'Neal's big picture at this point. The biggest thing that stood out to O'Neal is Herman's determination on changing what has happened at Texas in recent year.
- With a lot of schools outside of the state recruiting him, the Texas staff has joked with O'Neal that he needs to stay in state, because nobody wants to live in the cold.
- O'Neal said he was overall very impressed with the staff today. Seeing what Herman did at Houston and then helping lead Ohio State to a national championship with three different QBs - those are difference makers for him.
- O'Neal jokingly mentioned how it's "kind of scary" to see Herman's success against Power 5 programs (5-0) when he was coaching at Houston.
4-Star QB Casey Thompson
- When Thompson arrived yesterday, he didn't expect the Longhorns' facilities to be the way they are. He seemed surprised by what Texas had to offer.
- Today was his first time meeting with Tom Herman. He was "really impressed" with the head coach.
- Thompson most related to Buechele, who he referred to as a guy who would rather stay at home, studying football, than going out partying.
- Texas is among his top schools, in addition to UNC, Miami and Virginia Tech.
- Thompson said it would be a "pretty cool story" if he ended up coming to Texas since his father and brother both went to Oklahoma.
4-Star RB Keaontay Ingram
- Hanging out with RBs coach Stan Drayton was a great experience today.
- Texas "is up there" on his favorites list.
4-Star CB Anthony Cook
- Tom Herman and the staff were pressing the message to "come join the revolution" and bring Texas back to Anthony Cook of Houston Lamar.
- Cook said the group of 2018 Houston Lamar prospects are close and talk a lot about how it would be if they all played together at the college level.
4-Star OT Kardell Thomas
- One of the more surprising things I heard today came from Kardell Thomas. The LSU OL commit said he didn't know Texas had the Longhorn Network ... which launched in 2011. (Is LHN a non-factor entirely outside of the state of Texas?) Although he didn't know of the network prior to his visit, knowing Texas has LHN is a "big, big, big deal" for him because he wants to major in journalism.
4-Star DT Keondre Coburn
- Spending time with the current and former players and the staff were the biggest things that stood out to Keondre Coburn.
- Coburn plans to visit LSU in March and take a West Coast tour this summer.
- Junior Day was like being around family, according to Coburn. "I really like Texas. Coming here today and leaving today, I really feel like they are on top right now."
- The staff really likes Coburn's motor and how he uses his hands. He is looking into returning for a visit during his spring break.
4-Star WR Al'Vonte Woodard
- Al'vonte Woodard of Houston Lamar said spending time with the Texas coaches made him feel at home.
- He has built solid relationships with the staff when they were at UH, but Woodard feels like his relationship with the staff is stronger than ever before.
- The Longhorns' players talked very highly of the Texas staff to Woodard, which meant a lot.
- The group of 2018 Houston Lamar prospects is "very tight", and they all talk about the possibility of maybe being able to play with each other in college.
4-Star OT Kenyon Green
- Although he's committed to LSU, Kenyon Green said the Texas visit made an impact on him. "It made me like Texas a little more."
- Green has enjoyed his conversations with OL coach Derek Warehime. He likes how straightforward Warehime has been.
- He plans to visit Texas A&M and Oklahoma this spring, and wants to come back to Austin to see some games this fall.
4-Star WR Terrace Marshall
- Terrace Marshall really enjoyed his time in the wide receiver room when the staff broke down how they expect the Longhorns' offense will look.
- The Texas staff said they would use him most on the outside. He really likes Tom Herman and Drew Mehringer, and how they treated him like an adult.
- Texas stands "very high" on his list after this visit. His top group of schools include Texas A&M, LSU, Texas and TCU. He does not plan to make a commitment until National Signing Day.
- Marshall said he is "definitely" taking an official visit to Texas.
4-Star OG Barton Clement
- Texas is now currently tied with Texas A&M on Barton Clement's list of favorites.
- He enjoyed Tom Herman's personality, calling him energetic.
- He wants to come back to Austin for the spring game and plans to make a decision before his senior season.
- Clement is planning to visit TCU this spring.
3-Star DE Joseph Ossai
- DE Joseph Ossai did not really know how to feel about Texas coming into the visit. He was really impressed with the coaching staff and everything Texas has to offer. He said he is "for the most part sold" on what they had to say.
- Ossai came into the visit having Texas A&M as his "dream school", but Texas impressed today.
- Ossai said Todd Orlando and the defensive coaches are the right guys to turn around the Texas defense.
- One thing that stood out was the feel around the coaching staff and the program. "It felt like home, basically."
- Ossai plans to put out a Top 10 list this summer, and after today, Texas would "definitely" make his Top 10.
3-Star S Patrick Fields
Fields said his Texas Junior Day visit was one of the best he has taken. Patrick Fields was happy to be able to see what Texas has to offer aside from football - in terms of academics, tradition, the "beautiful" campus and the network of connections available after graduation.
Fields really enjoyed his time with Coach Naivar, who he said was surprisingly laid back.
Texas was one of his top schools coming into the visit. And after the visit, he said Texas is in his Top 3, along with OU and TCU.
3-Star DT Josh Landry
- The Texas staff is waiting to see some test scores for Joshua Landry, but he expects an offer to come soon.
- If Texas offers, Landry said the Longhorns would be at the top. "I'm really interested in them, so I'm gonna try to get back up here as soon as I can."
OL Tyler Johnson
- Tyler Johnson enjoyed hearing Tom Herman talk about "the big things" he plans to do at Texas during Saturday's Junior Day.
- When he moved to Texas from Georgia, Johnson has since thought the University of Texas was the best school in the state. Getting an offer from Texas "means a lot" to him, and he believes the future under Herman is "going to be a lot better."
Click here for more from Junior Day.