Early Decision for Lockett?

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater defensive back Jonathan Lockett could make an early decision and UCLA is still heavily in the mix...

Jonathan Lockett is one of the elite corners in the West and will be participating in The Opening on the NIKE Campus in Oregon later this month. He had a busy weekend playing in the Dana Hills tournament all day and it unfortunately left him a little hobbled for the Trojans camp.

"We played a lot of games on Saturday," Lockett said. "We went undefeated and took the tournament so that was exciting. Everyone stepped up for us and we played really well. Unfortunately I strained a hip flexor and wasn't 100% for USC's camp.

"I went and worked out, did some of the DB drills but could only go for about 30 minutes. I tried to push it but I wasn't able to go so I ended up leaving early. I've been getting treatment all week on it, I really need to be 100% when I get up there for The Opening. I can't wait for that event, I feel like I still need to prove myself some more so I'm excited."

Lockett said he won't be doing any more camps this summer but will take a handful of unofficial visits.

"I'm going up to UCLA for their camp on June 21st but just to hang out and watch," Lockett said. "I'm also going to visit Washington and Oregon before I fly out for The Opening. My parents got me a ticket to Washington and then I'll visit Oregon right after that visit.

"I'm also still planning to visit Notre Dame sometime in late July but don't have the exact date locked in yet. Those four schools- Oregon, Notre Dame, Washington and UCLA are the schools recruiting me the hardest right now."

With all the unofficial visits he'll be taking, Lockett said there's a chance he could be ready to make an early decision.

"That's something my dad and I are talking about," Lockett said. "I'm not really not sure right now what I'm going to but if I feel good about it after I take these visits, I could commit at The Opening. Of course that's before I would be able to get out to Notre Dame so that's why I'm not real sure right now.

"If I don't feel comfortable committing that early, then I'll just wait until after my season. I don't want any distractions during the season so I'll either do it before or after but not during. I want to focus on our season at Mater Dei with no distractions so I'm just going to play it out and see how these upcoming visits go."

Greg Biggins has been covering recruiting for over 15 years, covering the West since the mid-1990's and currently serves as a national analyst for Scout.com/FOXSportsNext.
Twitter | E-Mail |

Bruin Report Online Top Stories