• UCLA will host the California Bears at the Rose Bowl this Saturday at 7:36 PST. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2, with Mike Patrick, Ed Cunningham, and Jeannine Edwards calling the action.
• Cal is 1-4 overall and 0-2 in the Pac-12, losing to Northwestern (44-30) at home, beating Portland State (37-30) at home, and then losing to Ohio State (52-34) at home, Oregon on the road (55-16), and Washington State at home (44-22) last week.
• UCLA is 4-0 and ranked 11th in the Associated Press poll and 13th in the USA Today Coaches poll.
• The Bruins lead the all-time series with the Bears, 50-32-1, and have won five of the last six meetings between the two at the Rose Bowl. Cal last won in Pasadena in 2009, when the Bears beat Rick Neuheisel's best team at UCLA 45-26. Prior to that, the Bears hadn't won at UCLA since 1999. Like the Bears in Pasadena, UCLA has had its own string of futility in Berkeley, not having won at Cal since 1998.
• Last year, UCLA lost badly to Cal at Berkeley, with Brett Hundley putting together one of his worst games, throwing four interceptions. UCLA lost 43-17 in that game, but went on to win the next five games. Based off margin of victory, it was UCLA's biggest loss of the season.
•Sonny Dykes is in his 1st year as the Cal head coach, after moving over from Louisiana Tech in the offseason. As a head coach, Dykes has a 23-19 record overall, and his last two years at Louisiana Tech were his best, with the Bulldogs going to a bowl game in 2011 and then achieving a 9-3 overall record in 2012. Dykes is part of the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach coaching tree, and runs an Air Raid-style offense that has put up huge numbers. Last year with Louisiana Tech, Dykes led the country in both scoring offense (51.50 points per game) and total offense (577.92 yards per game). So far at Cal, Dykes has faced tougher sledding, with Cal currently ranked 77th in the country in points per game (27.8) and 17th in the country in total offense (515.6 yards per game).
• Dykes takes over for Jeff Tedford, who was unable to sustain his early success at California after initially turning the Bears into a nationally relevant program. Last year, the Bears went 3-9, which was enough for the Cal athletic department to jettison Tedford, who held an 82-57 record as the Cal head coach, with just two losing seasons in 11 years.
• True freshman quarterback Jared Goff has had an impressive start to his college career playing in Dykes' pass-heavy system. Already, through five games, he has thrown for 1821 yards, which is astounding given that in one of those games, he only threw for 11 yards before being taken out. In the four games where he played the majority of the snaps, he has averaged just over 450 yards passing.
• Heading into the game, Cal has lost a significant amount of depth throughout the defense, with just three projected starters from the preseason depth chart now starting. It's gotten so bad in the defensive backfield that there's been talk this week of having wide receivers Bryce Treggs and Chris Harper play both ways.
• Cal is an exceptionally young team, with 15 freshmen listed as starters. By contrast, UCLA will likely start at most seven freshmen, including special teams.
• 17 true freshmen have seen the field for UCLA this season, which ties the school record. Including redshirt freshmen, UCLA has played 32 freshmen this season.
• UCLA has opened the season 4-0, which is the first time since 2005 that UCLA has been undefeated at this point in the season. That year, UCLA went 8-0 before losing at Arizona, 52-14.
• This weekend's game is expected to be close to a sellout, which would be UCLA's first of the season after having non-conference home games against New Mexico State and Nevada.
• In third quarters of games this year, UCLA has outscored the opposition 65-0, and over a period from the second quarter of the Nebraska game to the third quarter against New Mexico State, UCLA outscored its opponents 83-0.
• The game will mark the fourth of five games this year where UCLA will kickoff at 7:00 PM PST or later.
• The early betting line for the game is UCLA -25.
• The weather forecast calls for a high of 82 degrees Saturday, with a 0% chance of rain. By game time, temperatures should drop into the mid-60's, and may get as low as the high 50's toward the end of the game.
California: Facts and Factors
Bruin Report Online Top Stories
Highlights: UCLA 5-Star Target Taeshon CherryMay 25 -- The nation's No. 23-ranked prospect, Taeshon Cherry, has shown big-time upside all spring playing with the Oakland Soldiers in the Nike EYBL. Here are highlights of what…
Bruin Report Online4:39 AM
Top 10 Defensive Players from Opening OaklandMay 25 -- There was a lot of talent on hand at the Nike Opening Regional Camp in Oakland on Sunday. Here’s our look at the top 10 defensive players we saw at the event...
Bruin Report Online4:39 AM
2017 UCLA Opponent Primer: StanfordMay 25 -- Stanford, after suffering through a measly 10-win season last year, could surge to the top of the North again in 2017 behind a gelling offensive line...
Bruin Report Online4:38 AM
Subscribe to Bruin Report Online Today!When you subscribe to BRO, you get all the premium content and premium forums -- the best UCLA team and recruiting content on the Internet -- while you avoid video ads -- and so…
Bruin Report Online4:47 AM