• UCLA will host the Arizona State Sun Devils at the Rose Bowl on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. PST. The game will be telecast by Fox, with commentators Gus Johnson, Charles Davis and Kristina Pink calling the action.
• UCLA is 8-2 (5-2 in the Pac-12) and ranked 14th in the country.
• ASU is 8-2 (6-1 in the Pac-12) and is ranked 21st in the country.
• UCLA leads the all-time series 18-10-1.
• UCLA won in Tempe last year on a last-second field goal by Ka'imi Farbairn, which put the Bruins up 45-43 with time expiring after a last-minute drive led by quarterback Brett Hundley. In fact, in the last two years, while UCLA has won each game, the Bruins have won by a combined three points.
• Many of UCLA's coaches have spent time on the Sun Devils' staff, most prominently offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, who held the same role at Arizona State the year prior to coming to Westwood. Steve Broussard also worked under Mazzone as the wide receivers coach at ASU, while Taylor Mazzone worked as a graduate assistant. Eric Yarber worked as the receivers coach at ASU from 2007 to 2009.
• If UCLA wins on Saturday against the Sun Devils, the Bruins will still have to beat USC the following week to ensure a Pac-12 South crown. On the other hand, if the Sun Devils beat UCLA on Saturday, they will have punched their ticket to the championship game even if they end up losing the rivalry game to Arizona. If UCLA beats ASU but loses to USC, the Bruins will also be eliminated from the south race, even if there's a three-way tie, because of some odd tiebreaker rules.
• Arizona State dealt with some controversy early in the year when the Sun Devils beat Wisconsin 32-30 after a bizarre ruling by Pac-12 officials. With time expiring, and Wisconsin driving well within field goal range, the Badgers' quarterback attempted to take a knee to center the ball. When he set the ball on the ground to get the offensive line set, one of the Sun Devils' players collapsed on the ball with over ten seconds remaining, attempting to give the impression that the quarterback had actually fumbled rather than take a knee. The Sun Devils defender laid on the ball so long, in fact, that Wisconsin wasn't able to get another play off to spike the ball and bring on the field goal unit. After conferring, the officials ran off the field rather than explain why they did not call a delay of game on the Sun Devils.
• Arizona State is led by head coach Todd Graham, in his second year in Tempe, with a record at ASU of 16-7. Graham, who took over for Dennis Erickson, has provided a spark to the Sun Devils over the last two years, and has done a fair amount of culture change. Arizona State has become one of the most disciplined teams in football, and is one of the Pac-12 leaders in fewest penalties per game. Last year, ASU posted its first winning record since going 10-2 in 2007. This year, Graham has the Sun Devils in the drivers' seat in the Pac-12 South, which probably puts the program ahead of schedule in the eyes of the fans.
• In a bit of an odd circumstance, the Sun Devils have only played three true road games all year, having played Notre Dame at a neutral site and having five of its nine conference games at home this year. In the four games ASU has played away from home, the Sun Devils are 2-2, with losses to the Irish and Stanford. Two weeks ago, the Sun Devils had to mount an incredible comeback to beat Utah 20-19 on the road.
• UCLA is undefeated at home this year at 5-0, and has won each of those games by double digits.
• Arizona State has an impressive streak of 24 straight games forcing at least one turnover, which is good for the third longest such streak in the country behind Missouri and Stanford.
• Over the last two weeks, UCLA has faced Ka'Deem Carey and Bishop Sankey, who are considered the top two running backs in the Pac-12. ASU's Marion Grice, though, has put together some impressive numbers himself. With 901 yards this year, Grice needs just 99 more to become ASU's third 1000 yard rusher since 2001.
• UCLA and ASU haven't played when both teams are ranked in the Associated Press poll since 1986, which pitted the No. 16 Sun Devils against the No. 15 Bruins. Arizona State won the game, and went on to win the Rose Bowl that year against Michigan, which is the lone Rose Bowl victory in school history.
• Under Mora, UCLA has done particularly well against the Pac-12 South, with an 8-0 record through the past two seasons. Winning the South this year, though, will be a tall order, since the Bruins suffered two losses to North powers Stanford and Oregon. Fellow South competitors ASU and USC both avoided Oregon this year.
• Jim Mora is 10-2 at the Rose Bowl in his two years at UCLA, and 6-2 in conference home games.
• It's the first time UCLA has opened a season ranked and remained ranked through the first 12 rankings since the 1998 season.
• With the eight wins this year, and the nine wins last year, this two year stretch under Jim Mora is the first time UCLA has managed at least eight wins in back-to-back years since 1997-98.
• The Sun Devils are favored by 2.5.
• The weather in Pasadena on Saturday calls for a high of 71 degrees, and it should be in the mid-60s shortly after kickoff, and could drop into the 50's during the game. There is a 30% chance of rain showers.
Arizona State Facts and Factors
Bruin Report Online Top Stories
Opening LA: Clips of 4-Star OL Justin DedichMar. 23 -- Scout was at the Opening Regional in Los Angeles and captured highlights of four-star offensive lineman Justin Dedich...
Bruin Report Online4:38 AM
4-star WR Thomas Checks Out UCLAMar. 23 -- Santa Fe Springs (Calif.) four-star receiver Dylan Thomas checked out UCLA this month and hopes an offer is close...
Bruin Report Online4:38 AM
Four-star DB Stephan Blaylock Talks UCLAMar. 23 -- Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco defensive back Stephan Blaylock is part of one of the region's best secondaries and the talented safety is good enough to play for…
Bruin Report Online4:34 AM
Subscribe to Bruin Report Online Today!When you subscribe to BRO, you get all the premium content and premium forums -- the best UCLA team and recruiting content on the Internet -- while you avoid video ads -- and so…
Bruin Report Online3:19 AM