• UCLA will host the Oregon Ducks Saturday, Oct. 11, at 12:30 p.m. (PST) at the Rose Bowl. The game will be televised by FOX with Gus Johnson, Charles Davis, and Molly McGrath on the call.
• The Bruins are ranked #18/#17, and Oregon is #12/#11.
• UCLA is 4-1, and 1-1 in the Pac-12 after the heartbreaking defeat against Utah last Saturday, 30-28.
• Oregon is 4-1 and 1-1 after its own heartbreaking 31-24 defeat against Arizona.
• UCLA leads the all-time series, 39-27, but Oregon has won the last five meetings. The last UCLA win in the series came in 2007, when UCLA beat the Ducks 16-0 at home in the Rose Bowl. The Ducks were ranked #9th in the country, but were without their quarterback, Dennis Dixon, so UCLA’s defense limited the Ducks to just 148 total yards. UCLA’s quarterbacks, Osaar Rashaan and Ben Olson, completed just four passes for 64 yards in that game.
• The Bruins own a 27-13 edge in games played in Los Angeles, but are 6-7 against the Ducks in the Rose Bowl.
• In the last three games against the Ducks (2013, 2011 for the Pac-12 Championship Game, and 2010), UCLA has lost by a total of 151-58.
• Since 2000, UCLA is 2-9 against Oregon. Before the 21st century, however, UCLA dominated the Ducks. In the 1990s, UCLA went 6-2. In the 1980s: 5-2. In the 1970s: 8-1. In the 1960s and 1950s: 8-1.
• This year is only the sixth time in history UCLA and Oregon have played each other when they were ranked, and Oregon holds a 3-2 lead in those games. UCLA is 2-1, however, in games when both teams were ranked played in Los Angeles.
• In an interesting quirk, with the loss to Utah, the Bruins have now lost the game immediately preceding Oregon in each of the last five seasons the two teams have met. In games immediately preceding Oregon over those five seasons, UCLA has been outscored 163 to 61.
• The Ducks have not lost back-to-back games in a single season since 2007, when Oregon lost three straight after Dennis Dixon got hurt.
• Oregon last played UCLA in the Rose Bowl in 2009, when the Ducks won 24-10, but Oregon has played in the Rose Bowl twice since then, losing to Ohio State in the 2010 Rose Bowl and then beating Wisconsin in the 2012 Rose Bowl.
• UCLA has actually appeared in more Pac-12 Championship games than Oregon, with the Ducks being shut out of the game by Stanford the last two years.
• Mark Helfrich, the Oregon head coach, is in his second year at the helm in Eugene. Helfrich is an Oregon native, having grown up just two hours away from Eugene. He was actually offered the opportunity to walk on at Oregon out of high school, but elected instead to play at Southern Oregon. Helfrich (40) served as the offensive coordinator under Chip Kelly from 2009 to 2012 before being promoted after Kelly departed for the Philadelphia Eagles in January 2013. Helfrich has a 15-3 record as the head coach, and has tried to continue Kelly’s traditions of up-tempo offense and a run-heavy scheme. He has earned a reputation as a good developer of quarterbacks, taking unheralded talents like Jeremiah Masoli, Darron Thomas, and, yes, Marcus Mariota and molding them into excellent spread quarterbacks (though he admittedly had quite a talent to work with in Mariota). He did draw some criticism for his 11-2 record last year, though, from a fanbase that has grown entitled to a great deal of success in Eugene.
• So far this year, Oregon has been a more dominant passing team than a rushing team, for perhaps the first time since Chip Kelly arrived in Eugene. Through five games this year, the Ducks have managed 17 touchdowns passing against 12 rushing. If the ratio continues that way, it will be the first time since 2005 that Oregon has more touchdowns passing than rushing.
• In the last two weeks, against Arizona and Washington State, the Ducks have zero rushing touchdowns.
• The Ducks are favored by three points.
• For the third straight week, UCLA will play in the heat. Game time temperature is expected to be in the low 90s.
Game Week: Oregon Facts and Factors
Bruin Report Online Top Stories
Highlights of Top 35 2019 PF Isaiah MobleyDec. 6 -- Isaiah Mobley is Scout's 32nd ranked prospect in 2019. Here are highlights of the four-star power forward against Foothills Christian...
Bruin Report Online3:12 AM
Final Season Clips of 5* DE Jaelan PhillipsDec. 6 -- Check out final season highlights of the No. 1 defensive end in the country, UCLA commit Jaelan Phillips...
Bruin Report Online3:11 AM
UCLA Prospect Recap: Week 14Dec. 6 -- We look at how UCLA prospects did in the playoffs of the high school football season...
Bruin Report Online3:11 AM
Subscribe to BRO, Get Sports Illustrated!Now, included in a subscription to BRO is a subscription to Sports Illustrated! Get all the premium content and premium forums, avoid video ads -- and so much more! And now get SI…
Bruin Report Online3:18 AM