Recruit Update: Donovan Carter

Donovan Carter, the 6-2, 227-pound linebacker prospect from Lake Balboa (Calif.) Birmingham who is verbally committed to UCLA, talks about where he stands in terms of that commitment and UCLA's coaching situation...

Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham linebacker Donovan Carter (6-2, 230) committed to UCLA in June, but the firing of Karl Dorrell and the unknown status of several key defensive coaches has Carter making sure his options are open.

"I'm going to UCLA this weekend with the other recruits, but I'm supposed to go to Washington on January 11th and to Arizona State sometime in January," said Carter. "Arizona State and Washington are really the only other schools I'm looking at. Arizona called the other day, but I'm not real serious about them."

Like many of the commits, Carter is interested in seeing what happens in the coaching search, and what assistants stay.

"If Coach (Chuck) Bullough and Coach (DeWayne) walker stay, then I'm going to stay with UCLA," said Carter. "I got a chance to talk to Coach Bullough after Coach Dorrell was let go and I talked a little to Coach Walker. Also, I talked to Coach (Todd) Howard when he came by the school. For me, it's more like who stays and who goes than who the head coach is."

Carter was offered by Washington early in the process and the Huskies have stayed in touch with him, resulting in his desire to take a trip up to Seattle. And even if the key coaches that Carter hopes stays are retained, he still plans to take visits.

"I'm still going to take these two trips and see what these schools are like," said Carter. "You only get to do this once."

Carter led a stout Patriots defense this year, one that gave up only 19 points in four playoff games and, during the season, went a month without giving up any points. He played in the middle for Birmingham, but said that he'll likely end up on the weakside in college.

"They have me playing at Will in college and we'll see how I am when I get there if they keep me there or move me," said Carter.

A final decision from Carter may not come until Signing Day.

"I mean, I'm still committed to UCLA, but I'll probably make my final decision by Signing Day," said Carter.


Bruin Report Online Top Stories