Thomas Opens Up Recruitment

Orchard Lake St. Mary's (Mich.) safety Earnest Thomas just wanted to be sure. That is why he de-committed from UCLA and has re-opened his recruitment. However, the Bruins are still in the picture.


"Right now, my recruitment is re-opened," Earnest Thomas told Scout.com on Wednesday night.

The 6'2, 200-lb safety from Orchard Lake St. Mary's had been committed to UCLA since this summer, but decided just this week to reconsider.

"Quite a few schools have been calling and coming to the school. I don't wnat to throw out names, but there are five to six schools that have made serious efforts and talking about coming to see me and making in-home visits. I just want to let people know I'm open again."

Thomas had over 20 offers before his commitment to UCLA and he says he does not want to open his recruitment to the point where 20+ schools are knocking on his door again.

He does hope to have a list narrowed down soon. The positive for him, is that he has not taken any official visits and is still able to take all five, if he can get them in before Signing Day.

"Right now, I have one set up for January 22nd and I was supposed to go to UCLA on January 14th, but I don't know if I'm going. There are other schools I'm talking to about visiting and it depends on if that comes through."

Thomas says there is still a small chance he re-commits to the Bruins, but also said that possibility is shrinking.

"I just wanted to be sure," he explained, "I wanted to be certain before I signed and it came to the point where I wasn't sure and that was when I decided to be open to other schools again. I have in mind the schools I want to look at, but I just decided today that I would announce that I was open again, so I don't want to throw anything out there yet before I jump in."


Bruin Report Online Top Stories