Our Big East Conference power rankings for Week 6 of the college football season:
1. West Virginia (4-1, 0-0): UConn thought Alex Carder of Western Michigan was hard to contain. Mountaineers QB Geno Smith completed 19 of 30 passes for 238 yards against Bowling Green last week – and it was considered a down week.
2. Cincinnati (4-1, 0-0): The Bearcats lead the NCAA with 18 takeaways. Cincinnati had 13 the entire 2010 season. This team is showing a lot of improvement.
3. Pitt (3-2, 1-0): The Panthers had season highs of 523 offensive yards and 44 points in their win over USF. Junior running back Ray Graham is the Big East Offensive Player of the Week.
4. South Florida (4-1, 0-1): The Bulls were disappointing in their 44-17 beatdown at Pitt. Skip Holtz and his team have a bye week to work on everything.
5. Rutgers (3-1, 1-0): That ugly win at Syracuse gave the Scarlet Knights a road win in a Big East opener for only the second time ever. Coach Greg Schiano isn't sure who will start at QB against Pitt.
6. Syracuse (3-2, 0-1): The Orange 2-1 in overtime this season and blew that game last week against Rutgers. SU had plenty of opportunities. Syracuse has lost four straight Big East home games.
7. UConn (2-3, 0-0): You could build a real strong case for the Huskies to be in the No. 8 position with the only. Not sure the Huskies are as bad as their record indicates, but even so, UConn figures to get crushed at West Virginia.
8. Louisville (2-2, 0-0): Louisville was shut out in the second half against Marshall and lost 17-13. Enough said.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Saturday, October 8
Connecticut at West Virginia Noon
BIG EAST Network Game of the Week Television: BIG EAST Network Series: West Virginia leads, 6-1 Last Meeting: Oct 29, 2010 — Connecticut, 16-13 (ot)
Louisville at North Carolina Noon Television: ESPN2 Series: Louisville leads, 3-2 Last Meeting: Oct. 8, 2005 — Louisville, 69-14
Pittsburgh at Rutgers 3:30 p.m. Television: ESPNU Series: Pittsburgh leads, 21-7 Last Meeting: Oct. 23, 2010 — Pittsburgh, 41-21
Syracuse at Tulane 8 p.m. Television: Cox Louisiana Series: Syracuse leads, 6-1 Last Meeting: Oct. 2, 1999 — Syracuse, 47-17
Cincinnati Next Game: Oct. 15 vs. Louisville
USF Next Game: Oct. 15 at Connecticut
BIG EAST WEEKLY HONORS
Offensive Player of the Week: Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh
Defensive Player of the Week: Steve Beauharnais, LB, Rutgers
Special Teams Player of the Week: Jamal Merrell, LB, Rutgers